How Howard Helps Clients
Board Certified by the Florida Bar in Real Estate Law and in Condominium and Planned Development Law, Howard Allen Cohen assists clients as an advisor in their transactions and as a litigator in the courtroom. Howard has spent more than three decades in private practice, focusing on commercial real estate with an emphasis on development, acquisitions and sales, leasing and mortgage lending and other financial matters.
Howard assists clients in all aspects of commercial and residential transactions, including leasing, preparation of condominium and other planned development project and offering documents, title insurance, tax-deferred exchanges and title matters. He also represents parties in real property litigation, including access, easement and quiet title disputes. His practice includes various aspects of corporate and business law, including commercial litigation.
Howard advises real estate owners, investors, developers, landlords, tenants and individual clients – and represents their interests as a litigator – in the following areas:
- Acquisition and sale of residential and commercial properties
- Mortgage financing by institutional lenders, including acquisition, development, construction and permanent loans
- Lease agreements for office, restaurant and retail spaces
- Preparation of condominium association documents, agreements and restrictive covenants
- Development of planned unit developments and other forms of cluster housing
- Preparation of license and lease agreements for wireless and other telecommunication installations
- Construction contracting
- Representing creditor interests in bankruptcy proceedings
Howard's practice also includes:
- Corporate and business law
- Creditor representation in insolvency matters
- Computer law
- Commercial litigation
- Representation of non-U.S. persons in connection with investments in the United States
What Clients Can Expect
Howard brings a fresh approach to assist clients achieve their goals rather than using canned solutions. For instance, while preparing declarations and other project documents for condominium and other developments, Howard tailors each document to the client’s unique project rather than using purely form documents.
Outside the Office
A scuba diver and underwater photographer, Howard has combined his hobby with legal interests by acting as the initial treasurer of the Underwater Bar Association (“DiveBar”), a voluntary Florida bar association composed of legal professionals that promotes education and awareness about coral reefs and the marine environment through scuba diving, philanthropic activities and learning experiences. Howard also is an avid power boater and, as fleet captain for his yacht club, led a nine boat flotilla from Fort Lauderdale to Key West during an eight-day cruise. He also has been an instructor of GPS classes for the Fort Lauderdale Power Squadron (a boating safety and educational organization).
By both understanding the client’s industry and market and appreciating what differentiates the client’s business from its competitors, a creative attorney can tailor the project’s details to help the client achieve its objectives.
- Howard represented the developer of the St. Regis Hotel and Residences (now the Ritz-Carlton), a five-star Fort Lauderdale oceanfront project, in the closing of a $118 million construction, semi-permanent take-out, and multiple mezzanine mortgage loan transaction.
- Howard has been listed as a “Top Lawyer” by the South Florida Legal Guide in 2015 and 2016 and was selected for inclusion in the Florida Super Lawyers® list by his peers from 2006-2007 and consecutively since 2010. Howard has also garnered an AV® Preeminent distinction, the highest available mark for professional excellence from Martindale-Hubbell’s Peer Review Ratings.
University of Chicago Law School, J.D., 1973
Rutgers University, B.A., 1970, cum laude
- New Jersey
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Middle District of Florida
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Florida
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida
The Florida Bar: Real Property, Probate, and Trust Law Section: At Large Member, Executive Committee, 2015 - 2016; Member of Condominium and Planned Development Committee, Construction Law Committee, Commercial Real Property Committee, Development and Green Building Committee and Liability Insurance and Surety Committee
Board Certification Program of The Florida Bar: Board of Legal Specialization and Education (BLSE) 2006-2012, including Chair, Rules Committee (2009-2012); Real Estate Certification Committee, 2000-2006, including Chair (2003-2004)
Broward County Bar Association: Member of Construction Law Committee and Bankruptcy Committee
Member, The Bankruptcy Bar Association
Fort Lauderdale Power Squadron: Law Officer
FBI Miami Citizens Academy Alumni Association
Underwater Bar Association Inc. , a Sec. 501(c)3 organization (Treasurer, 2011-2014; Chief Financial Officer 2015-2016)
Represents clients in real estate transactional matters through the Mission United Veterans Pro Bono Project and the Legal Aid Service of Broward County, Inc.
Conducts alumnus interviews with applications to the University of Chicago