How Helene Helps Clients
Helene assists clients in all phases of a commercial transaction and ultimately makes deals happen. Helene’s practice involves a wide variety of commercial real estate transactions, with an emphasis on representing commercial developers with acquisitions and dispositions of real property. Helene also specializes in the development of hospital campuses, residential developments, shopping centers, mixed-use projects, condominium developments and planned communities.
Helene has extensive experience in due diligence, approvals, and preparation of documents, as well as title work – honing the latter during her time as in-house counsel for one of the largest title insurance companies prior to joining Buchanan. In that role she underwrote and advised on national commercial transactions.
Helene also has experience representing financial institutions and commercial mortgage-backed servicers in all areas of commercial lending, including, loan originations and dispositions, restructurings, leasing, foreclosures, and dispositions of assets. Throughout her career, she has handled commercial real estate and finance transactions as well as structure, document, and advise on condominium and homeowners’ association issues.
Helene was recognized by Best Lawyers in America: Ones to Watch in 2024 in the area of Real Estate Law.
What Clients Can Expect
Helene’s clients appreciate her even-keeled approach to their matters. She prides herself on being an excellent listener and communicator. She always takes time to explain all the intricacies of a transaction to her clients so they understand how they get from beginning to end. Helene is an excellent negotiator who knows how to fight the good fight.
I am a real estate issue sleuth. If there is a potential issue with your transaction, I will find it and help you make an informed business decision on how you should proceed.
Outside the Office
Helene was born and raised in Houston, Texas. She and her husband met while playing in an outdoor volleyball league. She is the mother of two young girls and in her spare time she and her family love to partake in outdoor activities.
- Represented a regional hospital in connection with the acquisition of vacant land to be developed into a hospital and related medical uses. The transaction was marked by a plethora of complex title issues which had to be cured prior to the closing, including a number of easement related issues and necessary amendments to an existing declaration of covenants, conditions and restrictions.
- Represented a regional hospital in negotiating and closing on the acquisition of a parcel of land for an addition to its facility. A close reading of the plat revealed that there was not a publicly dedicated roadway adjacent to the property and as a result, extensive negotiations with the Seller, the municipality and the county became a part of the due diligence process, in order to achieve a clear agreement of the party responsible for the roadway improvements.
- Represented an affiliate of a real estate investment trust in connection with the acquisition of a medical office building. The transaction involved complex title and leasing issues that had to be resolved prior to the closing, including creating new easements and a management system of the overall development.
- Represented residential land developer in the acquisition of vacant land. The transaction involved numerous sellers and several parcels which had to be assembled. The transaction was marked to numerous title issues, including wild deeds, roadways that needed to be vacated and dedicated and releasing easements from utility providers.
University of Miami, LL.M., 2010, Real Property Development
Nova Southeastern University, J.D., 2009, cum laude
University of Miami, B.A., 2006, cum laude
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida
Broward County Bar Association, Member
Florida Bar Real Property Probate and Trust Law Section, Member
Real Estate, Probate, and Trust Law Section of the State Bar of Texas, Member