Through this program, we provide guest associates with a background in U.S. Patent Practice through training and in person prosecution support, develop relationships with Buchanan IP professionals, improve English language skills, and learn American culture through direct experience.
- In-house education with lectures on U.S. patent law, U.S. litigation, and practice before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office. A sample list of lecture topics is provided below.
- Personal training with experienced patent practitioners analyzing office actions, developing strategies for responding by presenting claim amendments and arguments to the Examiner.
- Accompany U.S. patent practitioners on personal interviews with Examiners.
- Attendance at seminars and workshops.
Sample of Lecture Topics
- U.S. Legal System
- U.S. Patent System Basics
- Patent Application Drafting
- Restriction / Election of Species
- 35 U.S.C. §§ 101, 102 and 103
- 35 U.S.C. § 112 (a) and (b) Written Description/Indefiniteness
- 35 U.S.C. § 112 (f) Means-Plus-Function
- Responding to Office Actions
- Appeals before the Patent Trial and Appeal Board
- Duty of Disclosure/Information Disclosure Statements
- Litigation in Federal Courts
- U.S. Trademark System Basics
- Design Patents
- Opinion Practice
- Patent Office Litigation Practice
Accommodations close to our office are readily available with shopping and transportation close-by.
Guest associates will be able to attend:
- Cultural Events: concerts, opera, ballet, symphony, museums, and local sporting events such as baseball (Nationals), basketball (Wizards), and hockey (Capitals).
- Each guest associate will be invited to American homes for meals or parties.
- Outdoor Activities
- Federal Circuit Hearings
Resources for Our Guests
It takes only 4 hours to get to New York City by train!
Discover local events by viewing these calendars:
IPO (DC events)
AIPLA (Alexandria, Arlington, and DC events)