George A. Huber focuses his practice on providing consulting services to health care-related entities including hospitals, health systems, academic medical centers, behavioral health facilities, imaging centers, surgery and cancer centers, pharmaceutical companies, ambulatory care facilities, senior care housing and long-term care facilities.
Currently serving as Professor Emeritus of Health Policy & Management at the Graduate School of Public Health at the University of Pittsburgh, George was general counsel for more than 30 years, and most recently, before his retirement in 2007, he served as senior vice president of corporate relations and regional programming at the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center (UPMC).
As a professor, George teaches a graduate studies in strategic management of health care organizations and advises the senor vice chancellor for the health related professions, the executive vice chancellor for the university and the dean of the Graduate School of Public Health with regard to legal, government relations and policy matters. He also provides assistance within the university for research integrity and conflicts of interest.
While serving as general counsel, George helped to establish UPMC. As senior vice president for UPMC, he was responsible at the executive level of leadership for:
- Directing, supervising, initiating, overseeing and facilitating the corporate relations of UPMC and regional programming within those regions outside of Allegheny County within Western Pennsylvania served by UPMC and affiliated community hospitals.
- Handling UPMC relations with local, state and federal government.
- Managing all UPMC liability insurance.
- Overseeing the functions of the UPMC Contracts, Grants and Intellectual Property Office and the secretary to the UPMC Board of Directors.
- Establishing the UPMC Disaster Management Center, for which he was responsible for overall executive direction and external relationships with local, state and federal disaster management agencies.
- Serving as legal adviser to the CEO and president of UPMC.
George's professional experience also includes serving as a licensed professional industrial engineer and judge advocate in the U.S. Air Force, and as the senior director for research and consulting for Blue Cross of Western Pennsylvania before it became Highmark.
George also served in the Pennsylvania National Guard as a judge advocate staff officer and retired as a brigadier general in 1995.
He has written several legal and health care reviews, papers, articles, commentaries and book chapters and has provided local, regional, state and national speeches for various legal and health care topics.
Duquesne University School of Law, J.D., 1974
University of Southern California, M.S., 1970, Systems Management
University of Pittsburgh, M.S., 1965, with honors, Industrial Engineering
United States Naval Academy, B.S., 1963, with distinction
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. Supreme Court
Allegheny County Bar Association
Pennsylvania Bar Association
American Bar Association Section of International Law
American College of Healthcare Executives
American Health Lawyers Association
Hospital Management Systems Society
Alternative dispute resolution agent for the U.S. District Court of Western Pennsylvania
Board member of: UPMC McKeesport, UPMC Passavant, UPMC Health Plan
University of Pittsburgh Visiting Committee for the Department of Industrial Engineering
HAP Third Party Public Payor Committee, chair of the HAP Task Force on Market Conduct and member of HAP Trustee Committee
Pennsylvania Advisory Committee to the Mcare Commission
National Aviary Board of Trustees