Christopher P. Schueller focuses on protecting the rights of creditors through multiple aspects of insolvency work. With experience including bankruptcy, out-of-court restructurings, litigation, the acquisition of assets of bankrupt or distressed entities, and the negotiation of bankruptcy terms for new loans and inter-creditor agreements, Chris is valued for helping his clients in multiple ways.
Known for protecting the rights of creditors, Chris has appeared in bankruptcy courts across the country including New York, Pennsylvania, Texas, West Virginia, Ohio, Delaware, Georgia, Florida, Tennessee, Michigan, and Massachusetts, protecting the rights of banks, opportunity funds, REMICS, special servicers, agricultural lenders, and corporations. Chris also handles lender liability, commercial litigation and multimillion dollar syndicated loans.
Chris has been selected to The Best Lawyers in America for Bankruptcy & Creditor Debtor Rights and Insolvency & Reorganization Law in the 2018, 2019 and 2020 editions. He has also been honored by his peers and named to the Pennsylvania Super Lawyers® list in 2013, 2017 and 2018, which represents the top five percent of attorneys practicing in Pennsylvania. Additionally, Chris was recognized as a leading bankruptcy and restructuring lawyer in Pennsylvania by Chambers USA in 2021.
Chris' recent successful representations include:
- Represented banks as administrative agent or lenders in fifteen different oil and gas bankruptcies which included multiple debtor-in-possession financings, 363 sales, and debt-to-equity reorganizations.
- Represented a distressed fund as senior secured lender in North Carolina bankruptcy that involved debtor-in-possession financing and a 363 sale.
- Served as lead debtor’s counsel to a publicly traded biotech company where a Chapter 11 bankruptcy plan was confirmed.
- Represented a senior secured lender in the bankruptcy of a restaurant chain in the Southern District of New York which involved debtor-in-possession financing and a 363 sale.
- Represented a bank as senior secured lender in the bankruptcy of a Michigan telecommunication company that involved debtor-in-possession financing and a 363 sale.
- Represented an asset-based lender in the cross-border bankruptcy case of a Canadian toy manufacturer.
Out of Court Restructurings and Acquisitions
- Represented an administrative agent in $1 billion syndicated coal deal which restructured.
- Represented a national bank as administrative agent in a $175 million debt restructuring that involved collateralized debt obligations.
- Represented administrative agent on $100 million health care credit which restructured.
- Represented national bank in the receivership of a publicly traded company in Western Pennsylvania.
- Represented a bank as administrative agent on a healthcare credit which was placed into receivership in Ohio due to an alleged $78 million check kiting scheme.
State Court Foreclosures
- Represented special servicers on hundreds of different foreclosures of all property types primarily in New York, Pennsylvania, Ohio, New Jersey, Maryland, Virginia, and Florida.
Lender Liability Litigation
- Represented a Florida-based lender in multiple fraud cases pending in New York City.
- Represented an equipment finance company on a tortious interference claim brought by a borrower in New York City.
- Represented a large agricultural leasing company in a $50 million fraud claim against an administrative.
Representative Clients Include:
- Bank of America, N.A.
- JP Morgan Chase
- Huntington National Bank
- LNR Partners, LLC
- Midland Loan Services
Chris often provides in-house training to clients and speaks at various seminars.