Christopher P. Schueller focuses his practice on aspects of insolvency work, including out-of-court restructurings, bankruptcy motions, bankruptcy litigation, debtor-in-possession financing, the acquisition of assets of bankrupt or distressed entities, cross-border insolvencies and the negotiation of bankruptcy terms for new loans and intercreditor agreements.
Chris' clients include banks, opportunity funds, REMICS, special servicers, agricultural lenders and corporations. He has appeared in bankruptcy courts across the country including New York, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Delaware, Florida, Tennessee, Michigan and Massachusetts.
Chris represents creditors in state court foreclosure and replevin actions. He represents creditors on all sizes of credits, including multimillion-dollar syndicated loans. He also handles lender liability and other commercial litigation.
He was honored by his peers and selected to the 2018, 2017 and 2013 Pennsylvania Super Lawyers® list, representing the top 5 percent of attorneys practicing in Pennsylvania. He was also selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America 2018, 2019 and 2020 editions for Bankruptcy & Creditor Debtor Rights and Insolvency & Reorganization Law.
Some of Chris' recent representations include:
- Represented a national bank in the bankruptcy of an automotive supplier in the Western District of Pennsylvania. Handled debtor-in-possession financing and an asset sale.
- Represented an asset-based lender in the cross-border bankruptcy case of a Canadian toy manufacturer.
- Represented a bank in the bankruptcy of a hospital in the Western District of New York.
- Negotiated bankruptcy terms for an intercreditor agreement on behalf of an asset-based lender on a syndicated loan for a national retailer.
- Represented a national bank in a $22.5 million fraudulent conveyance action in the Southern District of New York.
- Represented a publicly traded company in Cleveland on a multimillion-dollar administrative claim in a bankruptcy case in the Western District of Tennessee.
- Represented a large national accounting firm in a $300 million class action lawsuit in the Western District of Pennsylvania.
Out of Court Restructurings and Acquisitions
- Represented a national bank as agent in a $175 million restructuring of debt involving collateralized debt obligations.
- Represented a national bank in negotiating a forbearance agreement and exit from a credit facility for a food manufacturer based in Western New York.
- Represented a publicly traded company in the acquisition of a distressed manufacturer located in Michigan.
- Represented national bank in the receivership of a publicly traded company in the Western District of Pennsylvania.
- Represented opportunity fund in the receivership of a foam packaging manufacturer in the Western District of Pennsylvania.
State Court Litigation
- Represented a mezzanine lender in litigation over an exit fee.
- Represented a special servicer in the foreclosure of an office building in downtown Pittsburgh.
- Represented a special servicer in the foreclosure of a hotel chain with hotels in Ohio, Pennsylvania and New York and New Jersey.
Lender Liability Litigation
- Represented a Florida-based lender in multiple fraud cases pending in New York City.
- Represented an equipment finance company on a tortious interference claim brought by a borrower in New York City.
- Represented a large agricultural leasing company in a $50 million fraud claim against an administrative agent.
Representative clients include:
- Archon Group
- Bank of America, N.A.
- Bayview Financial
- Beal Bank Berkadia Commercial Mortgage LLC
- City National Bank
- CWCapital Asset Management LLC
- Ernst & Young
- Farm Credit Leasing
- Key Bank, N.A.
- Komatsu Financial, L.P.
- LNR Partners, LLC
- PNC Bank, N.A.
- RBS Citizens, N.A.
- Treadstone Capital Management
Chris often provides in-house training to clients and speaks at various seminars.