A Suite of Services for International Clients
Because we serve clients from a wide range of countries in Europe, Asia, the Middle East and the Americas, we are sensitive to cultural and language differences, and many of our attorneys and professionals have studied and practiced law abroad. Many are also fluent in multiple languages and are active in international bar, trade and business organizations.
Our International Networks
Because we are a member of the following global networks, we can help you manage international business relationships and adapt to the cultural and legal differences in the global marketplace.
TerraLex | www.terralex.org
Richard A. Jacobson, Buchanan Network Manager
- International Network of 155+ independent law firms and 17,000+ attorneys in 100 countries
- Member firms have exclusivity in particular geographic markets and provide in-depth knowledge of local law and business customs and domain expertise
- Partnership Success Story
A Buchanan Shareholder represented Joy Global Underground Mining LLC regarding privacy and related employment issues. Within days of Buchanan’s initial inquiry, TerraLex affiliates Landers & Rogers (Australia), Carey (Chile ), Boughton Peterson Yang Anderson (China), Reynolds Porter Chamberlain (England), Drzewiecki, Tomaszek & Wspolnicy (Poland), Pepeliaev Group (Russia) and Fairbridges (South Africa) provided quick advice. In some cases there was no charge for the advice.
Legalink | http://www.legalink.ch
Donald E. Malecki, Buchanan Network Manager
- International Network of 69 independent law firms and 3000+ attorneys in 60 countries
- Non-exclusive membership and no geographic restrictions
- Partnership Success Story
In the summer of 2017, Buchanan represented a Japanese plastics company in the $35 million acquisition of a U.S.-based specialized plastics manufacturer in Asheville, NC. Our client is currently looking for additional acquisitions in the U.S. and was referred to us through a Japanese Legalink delegate firm.
The United States Law Firm Group (USLFG) | www.uslfg.com
Rhea Law & Ronald H. Noble, Buchanan Network Managers
- Domestic Network of 18 law firms and 6,000 lawyers in 31 states, Washington D.C. and 6 foreign countries
- 16 committees meet frequently regarding current legal and practice developments in areas of local, regional, national and international law
- Partnership Success Story
Buchanan received a significant referral from the Texas USLFG member firm for a contaminated property environmental matter. Our firm represented the current property owner in an environmental cost recovery action to recoup the costs of the environmental cleanup project from the polluter and prior property owner.
When it Comes to International Services, We’ve Got You Covered.
Our corporate team represents companies around the world that are seeking to acquire or divest assets in a foreign country. And we help companies in foreign countries seeking to become public companies in the U.S. We assist both U.S.-based and foreign companies in managing issues with international implications, such as compliance with all applicable regulations.
Members of our business and international tax team can help you structure U.S. operations of foreign businesses and minimize worldwide tax consequences, including planning to minimize the effects of the FIRPTA, branch profits tax and earnings stripping provisions of U.S. law. In addition, we are able to structure multinational business groups and transactions within those groups to minimize worldwide taxes on cash and transactional flows by making use of international tax treaty networks and functional and supply chain locations.
Banking and Financial Services
Our clients are often international and superregional banks and their affiliates. We assist them with such matters as:
- Cross-border workouts.
- Direct and indirect offshore financings.
- Securitizations (at both originator and issuer levels).
- Structured finance transactions.
- Multibank financing.
- Swap transactions.
- Letters of credit.
- Trade finance (including Export-Import Bank insured or guaranteed credits).
- Mergers and acquisitions.
- Complex leasing facilities.
- Complex financial litigation.
Buchanan prepares and prosecutes hundreds of foreign patent, trademark and copyright applications each year. Through our foreign relationships, we can search, register and protect your intellectual property in virtually every country in the world.
U.S.-Cuba Business Consulting
Given the recent shift in U.S.-Cuba relations, we can help you understand the new challenges and opportunities that could face you in business arrangements with Cuba. In fact, shortly after the United States announced the policy shift towards the island nation, several of our attorneys traveled to Cuba with the Florida Bar’s International Law Section as part of the largest delegation of American Lawyers to visit Cuba since the Cuban Revolution in the 1950s. Our numerous bilingual attorneys and our offices in Florida can help you pursue business opportunities and manage legal issues in Cuba.
Many regulatory concerns arise for U.S. companies doing business abroad and foreign-based companies doing business here. No matter the type of issue, whether related to corporate transactions, employment, intellectual property or anything else, our attorneys know how to help you avoid difficulties and stay in compliance. A few of the many regulatory areas with which we assist clients are government relations, banking regulatory matters, immigration, and compliance with the U.S. Foreign Corrupt Practices Act.
Among our wide range of lobbying and public policy offerings, our government relations professionals can represent you in cross-border operations. We can assist you with introductions and relationship-building with key decision-makers in Congress; the White House; agencies with jurisdiction over health care, transportation and infrastructure, energy, defense and homeland security; and many other government agencies and officials.
Our immigration attorneys represent institutional clients and multinational corporations operating in multiple countries and diverse industries. We can assist you with such issues as:
- Audits of employer compliance with immigration regulations.
- Employment-based immigrant and nonimmigrant visa petitions.
- Immigration compliance following a corporate restructuring.
- Labor certification applications/PERM.
- Preservation of U.S. permanent residence status.
- Citizenship eligibility while on international assignments.
- Securing U.S. citizenship.
- Immigration policies and reimbursement agreements.
Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA) and Anti-Corruption
Enforcement of the (FCPA) by the Department of Justice (DOJ) and the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) is at a historic high, and penalties for FCPA violations are growing. Our robust FCPA team guides can guide you through any requirement of the FCPA, reducing your risks of doing business around the world. We are also well-versed in the anti-corruption acts of other nations.