Protecting Your Interests and Preserving Value
A recognized leader in bankruptcy, insolvency and creditors’ rights, we are ranked by Law360 as one of the largest practices in the country. We regularly achieve Chambers USA recognition and many of our attorneys are members of the prestigious American College of Bankruptcy.
Our attorneys find solutions that work in chapter 11 reorganizations, non-judicial loan restructurings, chapter 7 liquidations, chapter 15 ancillary proceedings, the acquisition of assets from distressed borrowers, and the prosecution or defense of related actions. We have a diverse client base, with particular depth in the real estate, energy, health care and technology industries.
For banks and other financial institution creditors, our thorough understanding of the complex issues that impact creditors during reorganization proceedings, allows us to anticipate all aspects of bankruptcy proceedings, and protecting and advocating your rights and interests.
For debtors and trustees, we work to reorganize distressed businesses or liquidate assets in a manner that preserves and maximizes value. We have significant experience in using state and federal receiverships as an efficient and cost-effective alternative to bankruptcy or foreclosure. The costs and expenses of maintaining a receivership estate are typically significantly lower than a chapter 11 and offer the benefits of speed and flexibility.
In addition, we routinely represent buyers and investors interested in acquiring troubled companies, their assets or distressed debt.
Because our bankruptcy and banking and finance attorneys work together seamlessly, we have the front-end lending knowledge and experience with deal structures and stress points to provide guidance if your deal runs into trouble. Our depth means we can also support you with attorneys from our corporate finance, banking, real estate, litigation and other practices whenever needed.
Our ability to help clients preserve and maximize value includes representing:
- Agent banks in restructuring and bankruptcy
- Lenders in various aspects of chapter 11 bankruptcy proceedings, negotiating loan workouts, inter-creditor agreements, note sales, deficiency pay offs and deeds-in-lieu
- Official and Unofficial Committees of creditors in chapter 11 proceedings and adversary proceedings
- Special servicers in connection with defaulted securitized loans
- Investors interested in acquiring troubled companies, their assets or distressed debt
- Investors in SEC and CFTC receiverships and representation of parties in SIPA cases
- Parties in state and federal court receiverships and assignments for the benefit of creditors
- Parties in cross-border insolvencies
- Purchasers of assets in Section 363 and distressed sales
- Lenders in connection with foreclosures on security interests, UCC sales, collateral liquidations and going concern sales
- Debtors in bankruptcy and in out-of-court restructurings
- Foreign representatives of international debtors in connection with the commencement of Chapter 15 proceedings in the United States
When it Comes to Financial Services, We’ve Got You Covered
You want lawyers who understand your business. We work with many of the largest and most well-respected U.S. and international financial institutions, regional, super-regional and non-bank lending institutions including banks, non-bank and unregulated lenders, non-traditional lenders, thrift institutions, servicers, special-purpose funds, municipal authorities, equipment lessors and lessees, and borrowers in all types of transactions.
Our effectiveness in these areas is enhanced by the breadth and depth of our team and our ability to engage with other practices within our firm to address particular issues as they arise.
You want lawyers who know your customers. Our focus on finance is also supported by our deep roots in the primary industries in which our clients lend. In fact, our firm has a well-deserved reputation for handling deals in specific industries, such as manufacturing, commercial real estate, energy and natural resources, healthcare, higher education and agribusiness.
Financial service organizations face an ever-changing legislative and administrative landscape. We can help you maintain regulatory compliance and resolve any differences through negotiation and advocacy. Our finance and banking attorneys work closely with our government relations professionals to understand your concerns and needs.