How Terry Helps Clients
Terry has been advocating for a variety of interests in Washington, D.C. for more than 20 years, focusing mainly on transportation and infrastructure work. He has experience working with both the Pennsylvania and federal governments and has represented clients from across the country, including local governments, transit systems, airports pipelines, and ports. Further, Terry has worked in a variety of policy areas including: energy, environment, homeland security, health care, defense, correctional institution issues, gun control, public education reform and appropriations.
Prior to his tenure at Buchanan, Terry was the primary federal government advisor to Pennsylvania Governor Mark Schweiker and directed the governor’s Washington office; he also served under Governor Tom Ridge. Under Terry's leadership, the governor’s Washington office secured more than $150 million in federal funds to assist with rebuilding the Philadelphia School District, to pay for the rescue of the mine workers trapped underground in Southwestern Pennsylvania and to arm the Pennsylvania Air National Guard with new psychological warfare aircraft.
Terry has worked on campaigns at all levels of government and served on the Bush-Cheney Presidential Transition Team in 2001. As an undergraduate, he wrote a socio-economic history of the protection systems employed during the Blitz on London in 1940-41.
Terry studied British politics in London and remains a close advisor to the Leader of the City of Brighton & Hove (England) Council.
- Assisted a transportation commission that owns, operates and serves as the policy-making body for a commuter rail service, in obtaining a $20 Million Better Utilizing Investments to Leverage Development (BUILD) grant for a rail infrastructure improvement project.
- Provide full-service government relations services to the San Joaquin Regional Rail Commission (SJJRC) and San Joaquin Joint Powers Authority (SJJPA), securing numerous testimony opportunities for the Executive Director before the House Transportation & Infrastructure Committee. Work closely with a combined Bay-area and Central Valley delegation to support the San Joaquins in the FAST Act reauthorization. Provided strategic guidance through numerous USDOT discretionary
- Quarterbacked the effort to secure a $19 million BUILD grant for Pittsburgh International Airport (PIT). This grant will support the construction of a 75,000 square foot cargo processing facility and an adjacent surface parking lot to expand air cargo operations.
- Successfully worked to secure a $15 million TIGER Grant for a major Transportation Oriented Development project which enhanced transportation and provided major economic development to a blighted section of the City of Pittsburgh.
- Provided political and technical expertise in transferring a major piece of real property from federal government ownership to local government to support a comprehensive public safety training campus; thereby, freeing up desirable real estate for economic development.
- Provide full service federal government relations representation to the Port Authority of Allegheny County (PAT), successfully managing many projects resulting in significant grants and other dollars that have gone to PAT.
- Provide full service government relations assistance on a wide variety of issues addressing all manners of security, safety and operations at PIT. Worked to secure specialized equipment funding; additions to the Customs and Border Patrol Officer deployment to adequately staff the point of entry; and to find unique DOT and FAA funding sources for the redevelopment of PIT.
- Hosted House Transportation and Infrastructure Committee Chairman Peter DeFazio (D-OR) on a transit investment and infrastructure tour of Pittsburgh.
The College of Wooster, B.A., 1998, History and Political Science
The College of Wooster Class of 1998, Co-President
Mount Vernon Community School PTA Board Member & Advocacy Committee Chair
The College of Wooster Alumni Association
Ambassador’s Council, Network for Teaching Entrepreneurship
Board Chair, Landless Theatre Company