How Stewart Helps Clients
Stewart Gibbons is an award-winning leader in economic development in Florida as well as other states with more than 40 years of experience. He provides consulting and operational advice to developers and owners related to large-scale suburban and urban mixed use developments. With his operations experience he is able to anticipate the client’s current and potential future land uses to determine the client’s optimal land use entitlements. He also can perform highest and best use analyses on properties being considered for acquisition or disposition and assist with due diligence on properties being evaluated for acquisition. He has led development and legal teams which have creatively increased quantity and variety of land use entitlements for properties.
What Clients Can Expect
Stewart has an exceptional ability to work with elected officials as well as county and municipal staff in order to bring his clients’ visions to fruition. Stewart works closely with clients to understand their needs and, if desired, can conduct an in depth interview with the client to understand the client needs for the property. Client discussions will include options for land use changes which could be incorporated into achievable entitlement changes. In particular Gibbons will seek to bring a long term perspective related to land use which could enhance that value should client seek to dispose of the property at a later date. He works with clients to understand how their land can be an optimal resource for them to serve their business needs. He works with local governmental staff and elected officials to understand their regulatory desires and seeks to marry the clients goals with beneficial outcomes.
Outside the Office
Stewart has a passion for photography and loves to take photos of places and people and often creates annual calendars for family, friends and business associates. He is also an enthusiastic (more than skilled) golfer and enjoys the commune with nature that golf courses provide. Stewart has a large family who are also located in great places to live and enjoys visiting when possible.
- Led rezoning and entitlement advances in various states throughout US.
- Lennar Corporation and Woods Capital - led entitlement modifications for New Town development of Connerton. Major changes included adjusting the commercial centers’ obligations to better meet market conditions, acquiring major impact fee credits and reconfiguring construction requirements to save substantial costs to clients.
- Woods Capital/Terrabrook- reconfigured 8000 acres to 3000 acre Conner Preserve and 5000 acres of developable property through negotiations with the Conner family, Pasco County and SWFWMD. Secured new town approvals from the state, regional and county governments. He later enhanced these entitlements as opportunities to improve outcomes for the client became possible.
- Rockpoint Land- led consultant team in rezoning of the prime 142 acre Georgetown apartments site. Created a new array of land entitlements which substantially increased the value of the property.
- The Howard Hughes Corporation- increased future entitlements while also securing unique development autonomy for the last phase of development from 60000 to 88000 residential units. Led marketing activities leading to a doubling of annual residential homes sales of 3200 homes.
- Rezoned the prime Waverly Farms site in Northern Virginia which was a high profile priority for Exxon Corporation. Overcame highly organized and well funded opposition group in the exceptionally important case.
University of Houston, M.B.A. (coursework completed), 1980
Georgia Institute of Technology, M.S., 1970, Civil Engineering
Georgia Institute of Technology, B.S., 1969, Civil Engineering
Pasco County School District Impact Fee Task Force, co-chairman, 2017-2018
Tampa Bay Builders Association, past president, 2015-2016
Urban Land Institute, current chairman, Governance Committee ULI Tampa Bay, 2011 - present; past chairman, ULI Tampa Bay 2009-2011; Member - National ULI Program Comittee, Urban Land Institute, 2009-2015
Penny for Pasco Citizen's Advisory Committee, co-chairman, 2012
Tampa Bay Partnership, Transportation Task Force, ULI Designee, 2009-present
Pasco Economic Development Council, chairman, 2007-2009
St. Jude's Ranch for Children, chairman, National Board, 1998-2005