How Stephen Helps Clients
For almost 20 years, Stephen has represented clients in environmental, mass tort, product liability and complex commercial litigation matters. He enjoys using his skills as a trial lawyer and litigator to help clients solve their legal and business challenges.
Stephen has significant experience in cases with large groups of plaintiffs and defendants, and those that involve complex issues of science and causation. Stephen has particular expertise defending groundwater contamination, human exposure, hazardous waste site remediation, natural resource damage and product liability matters.
Stephen advises clients across various business sectors, including those in the oil and gas, chemical, insurance, financial and technology industries. He has represented these clients in various state and federal courts across the United States, as well as in actions, investigations and enforcement proceedings brought by the US Environmental Protection Agency and other state and federal authorities.
Stephen is an accomplished courtroom lawyer and litigator with a long record of wins across a diverse scope of disputes, including defective fuel products, groundwater contamination, breach of contract, personal injury, challenges to land title, and trust and estate disputes.
- Serve as lead trial counsel to petroleum company in toxic tort and property damage cases in New York state courts involving alleged exposure to and contamination from benzene, MTBE and other petroleum-related compounds
- Serve as lead counsel in multi-district environmental product liability suit alleging groundwater contamination and natural resource damages resulting from use of MTBE in gasoline
- Represents New York commercial real estate developer in litigation involving land use and development issues under the New York State Environmental Quality Review Act and New York’s State Historic Preservation Office
- Represents leading India-based infrastructure company in New York litigation relating to contract dispute for an Indian power plant
- Provide advice to global petroleum company regarding product liability risk assessment regarding introduction and use of petroleum products in foreign jurisdictions
- Served as litigation and strategic counsel for an international petroleum company in hundreds of mass tort personal injury and property damage environmental and product liability cases
- Served as national coordinating counsel to the petroleum industry in In Re: Methyl Tertiary Butyl Ether (MTBE) Products Liability Litigation, a multi-district mass tort product liability docket consolidated in the Southern District of New York
- Obtained, on behalf of large petroleum company, dismissal of MTBE product liability and consumer fraud claims based on use of MTBE in gasoline
- Obtained complete dismissal of mass tort environmental and personal injury case involving more than 1,000 plaintiffs alleging personal injury and fear of cancer due to alleged exposure to petroleum products
- Defended international petroleum company against personal injury and property damage claims in New York state court
- Obtained favorable settlement on behalf of tool manufacturer in a CERCLA contribution action
- Represented international plywood manufacturer in product liability matter in the Northern District of New York
- Represented international chemical company in “food chain” exposure actions in which plaintiffs alleged PCBs caused their non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma
- Obtained summary judgment for global satellite company in multi-million dollar Hawaii real estate dispute involving disputed land access rights and rights regarding surface and groundwater flow
- Named to the New York Metro Super Lawyers each year since 2011
Fordham University, B.S., 1997, Biological Sciences
Pace University School of Law, J.D., 2000, cum laude; associate on Pace University Environmental Law Review
- New York
- Supreme Court of the United States (SCOTUS)
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the District of Connecticut
American Bar Association, member and Vice Chair, Environmental Litigation and Toxic Torts Committee, 2015-2016; 2016-2017; 2017-2018.
New York State Bar Association