Corporate, Development and Finance
- Counseled a professional sports team in connection with an agreement with a sports authority and a county government and a taxable bond issuance that expanded a major sports arena by approximately 3,000 seats. The agreement also included adding a new high-definition scoreboard and a new control room to the arena. These capital projects were funded without the use of tax dollars.
- Represented the chairman and president of a professional football team in the $750 million transaction to restructure the ownership of the football franchise in connection with new equity investment and debt financing.
- Represented the a city government in its efforts to keep its major league baseball team in the city, including negotiations with Major League Baseball and prior owners and conducting the sale of the team through an assignable option to buyers willing to keep the team in the city.
- Represented a city government in mediated bankruptcy negotiations over the reorganization of its bankrupt professional hockey team and litigation to keep the team in the city.
- Represented a major sporting goods retailer in its initial public offering and in its subsequent securities-related transactions and acquisitions.
- Represented a sport authority in negotiations with the MLB and the NHL in connection with league requirements involved in the construction and development of two major sports arenas and in connection with naming-rights transactions.
- Represented a professional football team in the development of and related operational contracts for its arena, as well as the acquisition and development of real estate surrounding the stadium as part of the team's continued expansion.
- Represented a joint venture comprised of an NFL franchise, a national real estate developer and an MLB franchise in connection with its acquisition, development, ground lease and sublease of multiple mixed use buildings in an urban entertainment district.
- Represented a city government, a county government and a sports authority in connection with the development and construction of two major sports arenas, both of which are nationally recognized among the best professional sports facilities in their respective sports.
- Represented a sports authority in negotiations with two professional sports teams over their lease, development, operating and non-relocation agreements.
- Represented a sports authority in the negotiation of the lease and related matters for the development and construction of a $325 million multi-purpose arena.
- Assisted with the public funding for numerous professional sports facilities.
- Represented a sports authority in connection with the sale of land to a joint venture owned by a professional sports team and local real estate developer for the development of a new hotel that supports the team’s home arena.
- Represented a city and the city’s civic baseball club in the $13.25 million sale of a baseball team in the negotiation and issuance of the lease for a stadium and grant, loan and construction documents related to the reconstruction of the stadium.
- Represented a county’s multi-purpose stadium authority in the award of five separate grants from the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania for the substantial upgrade and renovation of a minor league baseball field. Assisted with matching fund financing and negotiation of related design, engineering and construction contracts.
- Advised the owners of two arenas on the concessionaires and lease agreements with the arena vendors and luxury box tenants. In addition, the firm handled all of the construction contracts for the build-outs in connection with these leases.
- Served as underwriters' counsel in a bond issue in two financings totaling $50.5 million for the construction of an arena.
- Served as bond counsel in connection with financing a new multi-purpose arena.
- Represented a large public university in litigation related to the construction of the university's on-campus arena and convocation center, resulting in a favorable settlement for the client.
- Negotiated a real estate tax settlement agreement on behalf of a university-owned sports complex that includes multiple hockey rinks, a golf dome, track and field and fitness center.
Sports Marketing, Licensing and Contracts
- Represented a major provider of replay software in the sports industries, in drafting and negotiating licenses with college and professional sports teams and collegiate conferences, including the NFL, Canadian Football League, NCAA, PAC 12, Big Ten, Big East and SEC (Southeast Conference), among others, for the provision of digital video editing software networks and instant replay technology.
- Represented a professional football team in negotiations with the NHL to stage the “Winter Classic” at the team’s home stadium.
- Represented two professional football teams in connection with a variety of e-commerce, intellectual property, electronic media and entertainment law matters.
- Represented a national car racing league in digital media and mobile application matters.
- Represented a sports retailer in licensing transactions involving major entertainment and sports properties.
- Represented a major sporting retailer in licensing, manufacturing and brand acquisitions for sports equipment and other merchandise.
- Represented a pioneer in developing wearable body monitoring systems for the consumer fitness market in the negotiation of strategic alliance agreements, product development and distribution agreements, including the negotiation of celebrity endorsement and product placement agreements with a network television series.
- Represented numerous sports arenas and fields and a major and minor league baseball team in a variety of corporate issues, including zoning, licensing, facility leasing, stadium financing, vendor contracts, special events contracts, concert contracts, sponsorship agreements, suite agreements, adverting contracts and food service contracts.
- Helped to develop the strategy and legislation that resulted in the acquisition of state support, totaling $150 million, to assist in financing two major sports arenas.
- Directed the effort on behalf of a city and county governmental agencies and two professional sports teams to acquire funding for the extension of a public transit line and various highway improvements to enhance the development of a city.
- Represented a sports authority and a county in obtaining taxable and tax-exempt financing for the construction of a $321 million sports arena, which was financed with a combination of funding from numerous public and private entities in the state.
- Helped to secure funding for the development of an ice arena facility.
- Helped to secure state funds to assist in financing the Smithsonian Traveling Exhibit Gallery and the Western Pennsylvania Sports Hall of Fame at a museum in Pittsburgh, as well as an appropriation for ongoing annual operating assistance.
- Frequently represent entertainment agencies and professional ice skaters seeking work visas to perform at world-renowned theme parks in the U.S.
- Frequently represent professional wrestlers seeking permanent residence in the U.S. based upon their extraordinary talents and abilities.
- Represented numerous MLB players in connection with obtaining work visas, permanent residence and U.S. Citizenship.
- Represented numerous circus performers seeking work visas to perform at world renowned touring circus units.
- Represented numerous professional sky divers seeking temporary work visas and permanent residence based upon their extraordinary talents and competitive experience.
- Frequently represent professional tennis players, golfers and coaches at various levels in the industry for temporary work visas and permanent residence.
- Represented institutions of higher education with obtaining work visas and permanent residence for coaches.
- Frequently represent various other individual athletes and coaches with obtaining work visas and permanent residence.
We follow industry news and trends so you can stay ahead of the game. Subscribe to receive emails regarding policies and findings that impact you and your business.
Already a subscriber and want to update your preferences? Click here.