Samantha L. Southall
- Obtained dismissal of a putative class action, affirmed on appeal, of a claim challenging part of a $1 billion merger transaction between two nonprofit insurers.
- Successfully defended an egg producer in In re Processed Egg Products class action antitrust litigation (E.D. Pa.), a nationwide multi district litigation alleging an industry-wide supply restriction scheme to fix the prices of eggs and egg products sold in the United States during an eight year period.
- Obtained dismissal of a putative class action on summary judgment, affirmed on appeal, of a claim for $1.3 billion against a nonprofit insurer accused of violating Pennsylvania's Nonprofit Corporation Law
- Obtained dismissal of a putative class action accusing a transportation authority of violating the Fair Credit Reporting Act by not providing job applicants proper notice that it was using consumer reports for background checks. Long v. Southeastern Pa. Trans. Auth., 2017 WL 1332716 (E.D.Pa.)
- Obtained dismissal of an antitrust on behalf of our client arising from an alleged illegal boycott.
- Successfully defended a bodybuilding league accused of illegally monopolizing the business of competitive bodybuilding in the United States.
- Obtained a petition to strike and vacate an improperly entered foreign judgment under the Uniform Foreign Money Judgment Recognition Act and Uniform Enforcement of Foreign Judgments Act. Louis Dreyfus Commodities Suisse SA v. Financial Software Systems, Inc., 99 A.3d 79 (Pa. Super.)
- Defended a financial services and training company in a dispute with its former Chief Executive Officer over ownership of a LinkedIn account. Obtained summary judgment in favor of our client on the claims for violation of the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act and Lanham Act. Defeated the plaintiff’s claims for state law damages at trial. Eagle v. Morgan, 2013 WL 943350 (E.D. Pa.); Eagle v. Morgan, 2012 WL 4738986 (E.D. Pa.).
- Obtained summary judgment for our client in two separate actions arising from an alleged misappropriation of intellectual property; Buyfigure.com, Inc. v. R.M. Hollenshead Auto Sales & Leasing, Inc., 2010 WL 5342823 (E.D. Pa.); Buyfigure.com. Inc. v. Autotrader.com. Inc., 76 A.3d 554 (Pa. Super.).
- Prosecuted multiple actions on behalf of a national bank arising from an alleged $25 million fraud. PNC Bank N.A. v. Pence, 2010 WL 3947516 (S.D. Ind.); PNC Bank, N.A. v. Hall, 2010 WL 3947506 (S.D. Ind.).
- Obtained summary judgment for our client in a putative class action alleging violation of the Fair Credit Reporting Act. Moore v. First Advantage Enterprise Screening Corp., 2013 WL 1662959 (N.D. Ohio); 2012 WL 4461505 (N.D Ohio).
- Obtained summary judgment for our client in a $20 million toxic tort action after prevailing in Daubert motions excluding the plaintiff’s causation experts. Johnson v. Arkema, Inc., 685 F.3d 452 (5th Cir. 2012).
- Obtained a voluntary dismissal of claims at the earliest stages of litigation after working with our client to obtain electronic data disproving the plaintiff’s allegations.
- Defended claims brought under the Fair Credit Reporting Act. Valentine v. First Advantage SafeRent, Inc., 2009 WL 4349694 (C.D. Cal.); Torrance v. Cincinnati Mortg. Co. Inc., 2009 WL 3841967 (S.D. Ohio).
- Defended a multinational corporation in multi-antitrust litigations alleging price-fixing arising from the unauthorized actions of its copper trader. Also represented the multinational corporation in its claims against several financial institutions that arose out of the same trading scandal.
- Represented corporations in the enforcement of non-compete and non-solicitation agreements against former employees.
- Acted as pro bono counsel to an Alabama death row prisoner in post-conviction proceedings. State v. Mack, 65 So.3d 897 (Ala. 2010).
- Represented families in the September 11th Victim Compensation Fund.