How Ronald Helps Clients
Ronald counsels clients on matters relating to inbound and outbound business structures, cross-border mergers and acquisitions, real estate holdings and transactions, international portfolio investments, passive foreign investment companies and controlled foreign corporations, information reporting, withholding tax regimes, transfer pricing, international assignments, voluntary disclosures, expatriate planning, and international tax controversies, among other matters.
Ronald’s clients include corporations, partnerships, hedge and private equity funds, non-profit organizations, and high net worth individuals across a wide range of industries, including real estate, software and technology, food and beverage, furniture manufacturing and more.
Ronald has authored numerous tax articles on international tax issues. He has published with the Journal of International Taxation, British Tax Review, BNA Daily Tax Report, among others.
He has been featured as a speaker/presenter at such notable industry forums as the Financial Research Associates (January 2018, at the Princeton Club, NYC), BKR International Conference (Shanghai, October 2018) and Lorman Education Services (Webinar, March 2019).
Ronald was formerly at the New York and London offices of a big four public accounting firm and the New York office of a national public accounting firm, where he served as an international tax advisor in inbound and outbound tax advisory and compliance matters.
What Clients Can Expect
Clients rely on Ronald’s strategic, practical and results-oriented approach to tax planning and compliance. He leverages his in-depth technical knowledge and passion for client service to explore all avenues and alternatives when deciding the best course of action for his clients.
Outside the Office
Ronald has participated in such civic initiatives as feeding the homeless and hungry at the Bowery Mission NYC and teaching high school economics.
In his spare time, Ronald enjoys spending time with his family and watching his favorite soccer team, Liverpool, play.
- Served as a tax advisor for a U.S.-based hotel and leisure company in a deal involving the acquisition of real estate in Greece and investments in Spanish SOCIMIs (REITs) and Mexican FIBRAs (REITs).
- Advised a U.S.-based multinational private equity fund on structuring its investment in Italian hotels.
- Structured portfolio debt financing for a Spanish fund investing in various U.S. real estate properties, particularly in New York and California.
- Structured an income tax treaty-based U.K. IP licensing vehicle for a U.S. music copyrights company with operations in such jurisdictions as the U.K., France, The Netherlands and Japan.
- Performed tax due diligence for a U.S-based private equity fund with respect to its acquisition of a Cleveland, Ohio-based medical institution with operations in Canada and the U.K.
- Advised a U.S.-based software business on the incorporation of a U.S. holding corporation to hold its operations in Bermuda in order to minimize the impact of the Global Intangible Low-Taxed Income (GILTI) taxation on its profitability.
- Structured an exit strategy for U.S. and Brazilian owners of a U.S.-based network security corporation with operations in Brazil and other jurisdictions.
Harvard Law School, LL.M., 2006, Taxation
Law Development Centre, Uganda, 2005
Makerere University, Uganda, LL.B., 2004, First Class Honors
- District of Columbia
- New York
American Bar Association
New York Bar Association
New York City Bar Association
Bowery Mission NYC, volunteer
Taught high school economics