Ronald E. Chronister has experience in state insurance regulatory matters and in the organization and business of the insurance industry. He has had an extensive career with the Pennsylvania Insurance Department, serving on two occasions as acting insurance commissioner and serving more than 10 years as deputy insurance commissioner.
Ronald has experience as both a regulator and an officer of a regulated insurer. His relevant experience also includes:
- Regulatory compliance for all lines of insurance and all types of insurers including property/casualty, life and health insurers, Blue Cross/Blue Shield, vision and dental service plans, HMOs/PPOs and title insurers.
- Regulatory review of complex insurance company transactions, including mergers, acquisitions, reinsurance arrangements and demutualizations.
- Unfair insurance practices claims, consumer complaints and enforcement actions.
- Regulatory oversight of risk retention and purchasing groups.
- Action plans to address the solvency of domestic insurers.
- Statutory accounting, risk-based capital and other financial requirements for insurers.
- Liquidation and rehabilitation processes.
- Regulatory programs for continuing care retirement communities. Regulation of surplus lines activity.
- Regulatory requirements for insurance company licensing, producer licensing and appointments.
- Policy form and rate filing requirements.
During his career with the Insurance Department, Ronald participated in drafting several major pieces of legislation, notably comprehensive revisions to statutes governing producer licensing, surplus lines transactions, fraternal benefit societies, insurer investments and mutual insurer demutualizations. He has dealt with national insurance issues, and frequently interacts with regulators from other state insurance departments.
Following his 27-year career with the Insurance Department, Ronald served for six years as a senior officer of a property/casualty insurer that was licensed to transact insurance in all 50 states, the District of Columbia and Puerto Rico. His primary responsibility was to serve as liaison to insurance departments across the country on the insurer's compliance with the regulatory requirements in each state.
Ronald is active in his church and community. He has served as an elder and member of the Consistory at his church, as president of the Greater Harrisburg Rose Society, and is an accredited rose show judge.
Juniata College, B.A., 1968, History with a Minor in Political Science