How Robert Helps Clients
Robert focuses on complex marital and family law cases, as well as civil litigation. His practice areas include divorce, paternity, alimony/spousal support and child support, division of marital assets and liabilities, custody issues, modification proceedings, civil litigation, as well as drafting pre- and post-nuptial agreements. Much of his practice involves international clients or international legal issues, such as the complexities of multi-country litigation or the return of kidnapped children under The Hague Convention on the Civil Aspects of International Child Abduction.
Robert has tried more than 140 cases in both State and Federal Court and has extensive appellate experience. He has argued cases at the Florida Second, Third, Fourth and Fifth District Courts of Appeal, as well as before the Federal 11th Circuit Court of Appeals. Robert's more than 23 years of trial and appellate experience in state and federal courts also strengthens Buchanan’s commercial litigation, appellate and arbitration capabilities in Miami.
He serves as co-chair of the firm’s Matrimonial & Family Law practice group.
- “Top 100 Lawyers in the State of Florida” as recognized by SuperLawyers magazine, 2016-2019.
- “Top 100 Lawyers in Miami” as recognized by SuperLawyers magazine, 2015-2019.
- Named the 2016 Family Law “Legal Luminary” by the Dade County Bar Association.
- “Top Lawyers in Florida”, SuperLawyers magazine, 2011-2018.
- The Best Lawyers in America© in Family Law, 2019 and 2020
- Top Lawyer, South Florida Legal Guide, 2008-2015, 2017-2018, 2020
- Florida Trend Legal Elite 2009, 2010 and 2012, 2013, 2015, 2016, 2018.
- AV Preeminent rated by Martindale Hubbell, the highest peer review ranking, based on his professional experience and ethics.
What Clients Can Expect
Robert prides himself on his legal knowledge. He is the type of lawyer who will out research opposing counsel, but one who also listens to the judge and can pivot to another legal theory when necessary. He understands that his clients are going through one of the most difficult times in their lives and is able to empathize with them.
He has a reputation for always being prepared, be it for a deposition, a hearing, a mediation or a trial. At the start of his career, his mentor told him, “Never be afraid to go to court. Most lawyers are.” This advice has served Robert well, both inside and outside the courtroom.
I am a trial lawyer, more comfortable in a courtroom than my office. I win because I know the law, I "hyper prepare" for court and I can be as stubborn as a Missouri Mule.
Outside the Office
Robert is an avid sailor with more than 60,000.00 blue water miles under his keel. When he was 9 years old, his parents set sail on a 41-foot yacht for what became a six-and-a-half year voyage around the world. His sailing, however, is now limited mostly to South Florida on his 36-foot sailboat, the “Vasa.”
In his first career, Robert was a newspaper reporter, covering law enforcement and the court system. He won numerous awards for his investigative journalism and his writing career included everything from covering a polo match with Prince Charles to witnessing an execution in Florida’s electric chair.
- Robert frequently represents international clients in Florida divorce or divorce-related proceedings. He frequently faces the many challenges of multi-country litigation, which include jurisdictional fights and choice of law issues. He has dealt with jurisdictions that use common law, a civil code, and even Sharia law. Robert has represented clients from Mexico, Canada, Europe, Central America, South America, Hong Kong and the Far East. He even had one client in Mongolia. One such case was that of three-time Wimbledon Champion Boris Becker, whose wife chose to file for divorce in Florida - where they had a second home - instead of Germany.
- Robert’s cases frequently involve complex financial issues, such as when a party has hidden assets, dissipated assets, or placed assets in on-shore or off-shore corporations or trusts. He has dealt with everything from Panamanian bearer share corporations to Cook Island trusts to undisclosed Swiss bank accounts.
- Robert has litigated numerous cases under the Hague Convention on the Civil Aspects of International Child Abduction. These have included numerous cases where he obtained the return of children abducted to other countries, but also includes one where he obtained the return of three children abducted by their mother from Mexico City.
Florida State University College of Law, J.D., 1994, Order of the Coif, Executive Editor, Law Review, Florida State University College of Law
Notes and Comments Editor, Law Review, Florida State University College of Law
Intern, Florida Supreme Court, Justice Major Harding
Intern, Florida House of Representatives, Committee on Criminal Justice
Lobbyist, Commission on Juvenile Justice
University of Missouri, Bachelor of Journalism, 1987, Journalism
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida
Member, Family Law and Appellate Law Sections, The Florida Bar
Member, Collaborative Family Law Institute
Founding Member, BNI Biscayne Connections. His past positions include: President, Visitor Host Chair, Ethics & Challenges Advisor for the Membership Committee, Educational Coordinator and Chapter Ambassador.
KidSide, Board of Directors
Care Resource, pro bono legal counsel
Guardian Ad Litem, pro bono