How Rajiv Helps Clients
Rajiv Khanna focuses on domestic, cross-border, and multijurisdictional mergers and acquisitions transactions, securities offerings, corporate finance, project finance and real estate. Rajiv has also supervised numerous litigations and investigations. Rajiv has been a partner/shareholder of major law firms including Sidley Austin, LeBoeuf (l/k/a Dewey & LeBoeuf), K&L Gates and BakerHostetler for over 31 years, having advanced from first year associate to full equity partner in 3.5 years, as opposed to the normal 8-12 years.
Rajiv is the architect of many seminal path-breaking transactions, including first ADR linked share subscription facility for an Indian company; the first proposed reverse merger of an Indian privately held corporation with a NASDAQ-listed, publicly traded U.S. company; the first merger of a U.S. private company with a publicly traded Indian company; the first merger of a NYSE-listed Indian company with a NASDAQ-listed U.S. company; and the first triple-dip aircraft financing, which allowed full depreciation to be claimed in the U.S., Japan and India for the same aircraft.
What Clients Can Expect
As a client observed, “I have known Rajiv for 20 years...Rajiv is very thorough and brings the best resources available to him for the benefit of the transaction. He is a strong negotiator, and coordinates well with all stakeholders like the counterparts, investment bankers, brokers, etc to ensure that a deal progresses at a fast pace. He is always accessible and I have found him to be on top of the deal at any time.”
Rajiv uses not only his legal acumen, but also his business education to understand his clients’ needs and their business functions and objectives. He takes a practical and solutions-oriented approach to each transaction as he works through legal issues, always keeping his client’s ultimate business goals in mind.
I believe my job is to make things happen for my clients.
Outside the Office
Rajiv enjoys tennis and playing classical music on the sitar. He is deeply involved in U.S. – India investment and trade relations in his capacity as President of the India-America Chamber of Commerce.
- Elected to the Executive Committee of the Delhi High Court Bar Association at the age of 23, the youngest person to ever hold that position.
- First in his law school class at the University of Miami.
- Admitted as a full equity partner in an AmLaw 100 law firm 3.5 years after starting as a first year associate, as opposed to the normal 8-12 years.
- New York Super Lawyers (2006-2008).
- Included in Jewels of India (2002).
- The Legal 500 United States (2016) Recommended in M&A/Corporate Commercial M&A - middle market (sub-$500M).
- 2021 Deal Maker of The Year, Finance Monthly Magazine
- Architect of several seminal path breaking transactions.
University of Miami School of Law, LL.M., first in class
University of Delhi, LL.B.
University of Delhi, B.B.A., Honors
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
- New York
India-America Chamber of Commerce, President
Delhi High Court Bar Association, Executive Committee (1979-1980)