How Mike Helps Clients
Mike concentrates his practice on all aspects of commercial litigation and employment law. He represents businesses and individuals in state and federal courts, as well as before administrative agencies in a variety of employment-related matters, including leave and time off policies, wage and hour law, FMLA and ADA issues, and other matters that may arise throughout the employer and employee relationship. In regards to his commercial litigation practice, Mike frequently handles separation agreements, non-compete issues, bid protests and pharma antitrust litigation. Mike has experience working closely with businesses of all sizes and often works with organizations in the transportation, retail and railroad industries.
While in law school, Mike served as a student attorney in the George Washington University Law School’s Small Business Community and Economic Development Clinic, as a law clerk at the Department of Justice Civil Division and as an intern at the Superior Court for the District of Columbia. He is a recipient of the Patricia Roberts Harris Award, which is awarded to the person who most embodies Mrs. Harris’ legacy of leadership, service and achievement.
Mike worked as a legal fellow at D.C. Law Students in Court and served as Notes Editor for the Federal Circuit Bar Journal, Member of the Alternative Dispute Resolution Board, President of the Black Law Students Association, Advisor for the Inns of Court and Assistant Director of the Student Bar Association.
Prior to joining Buchanan, Mike worked as a litigation associate at a D.C. firm after he served as an Attorney Advisor Fellow in the Office of General Counsel at the D.C. Department of Consumer Regulatory Affairs.
What Clients Can Expect
Mike focuses on developing a strong client relationship in order to have a thorough understanding of their industry, their business and their objectives. He uses this understanding to develop case strategies that are effective and address the multifaceted interests at stake in each case. Mike is committed to the big picture and acutely aware of the details so that each client's’ needs are served.
Be stubborn about your goals but flexible about your methods. We help develop the methods to achieve your goals.
Outside the Office
A native of Miami, Mike is an avid Miami sports fan. (Go Canes.) He enjoys traveling, playing basketball, and spending time with family and friends.
- Represented high-level government employee in security clearance dispute which resulted in the dismissal of all allegations and issuance of high-level clearance.
- Represented employee in discrimination case brought against the employee and his employer, which resulted in a dismissal of all claims.
- Resolved multiple EEOC investigations for several mid to large corporate clients with findings of no cause.
- Negotiated settlements below his authorization for large retail and transportation clients at the investigation and early litigation stages.
- Successfully protested the award of a government contract for mid-size healthcare client allowing them to rebid the contract.
The George Washington University Law School, J.D., 2015
University of Miami, B.A., 2012, Political Science
- District of Columbia
- New York
- U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania
American Bar Association
National Bar Association
Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Inc.
GW Association of Black Law Alumni; President
GW Alumni Board of Directors; Member
University of Miami Alumni Association DC Regional Board
- Haitian Creole