How Megan Helps Clients
Megan represents secured and unsecured creditors, corporations, business owners, goods providers, landlords, tenants and bankruptcy trustees in resolving contract disputes, insolvency and collection proceedings, commercial mortgage workouts and restructurings, asset-based and non-asset-based lending disputes of all types, real property and leasing transactions.
Megan’s years of institutional work as a real estate acquisitions officer and special assets analyst provide a wealth of hands-on experience and understanding that enriches her creditors’ rights and bankruptcy practice.
Prior to attending law school, Megan worked for seven years at a Transamerica Insurance Company affiliate, AEGON USA Realty Advisors, in special assets, commercial mortgage loan workouts and commercial real estate acquisitions. Megan uses her in-depth business experience to develop a deep understanding of her clients’ businesses, so she can anticipate their needs and develop cost effective solutions to business problems. Her clients consider her a trusted resource and advisor.
Prior to joining Buchanan, Megan practiced commercial litigation, bankruptcy, creditors’ rights and insolvency, and real estate and lending transactions at a well-known Tampa Bay law firm. She previously clerked for the Honorable Karen S. Jennemann, Chief Judge of the Middle District of Florida Bankruptcy Court. She also served as a Judicial Extern for the Honorable Judge Thad Collins of the Northern District of Iowa Bankruptcy Court and as a Judicial Intern for the Honorable Judge Jeff Bohm of the Southern District of Texas Bankruptcy Court.
Megan is a frequent author and presenter on issues relating to bankruptcy, reorganization, creditor’s rights, commercial real estate, Uniform Commercial Code and collection issues.
What Clients Can Expect
Megan uses her business experience to strategically and tactically evaluate her clients' businesses and formulate strategies that maximize her clients' returns.
Outside the Office
Megan grew up in Iowa; she has a Midwestern Hawkeye spirit and limitless aspirations. When she's not working, she spends time with family and friends that enrich her life, including her pets, and works to improve her health and fitness.
Megan has represented clients in a wide variety of matters in complex creditors’ rights, bankruptcy trustee representations, and real estate workouts, including the following examples:
- Represented business and equipment lender in chapter 11 case of professional association and successfully obtained appointment of chapter 11 trustee.
- Represented the Official Committees of Unsecured Creditors in the chapter 11 cases of a senior care holding company and six related senior care facilities.
- Represented unsecured creditor in defending against chapter 11 cramdown that violates absolute priority rule and proposes a disparate impact on creditor as compared to unsecured trade creditor classes.
- Represented out-of-state business owner in domestication and full recovery of out-of-state FINRA judgment.
- Represented investor in acquisition and foreclosure of hotel in Florida, resulting in significant immediate gain.
University of Iowa College of Law, J.D., 2011, honors
University of Iowa Tippie College of Business, B.B.A., 2002, honors, Marketing and Management, International Business Certificate, Spanish Minor
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Florida
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida
Florida Bar Association, member
American Bankruptcy Institute, member, Real Estate Committee
International Women's Insolvency and Restructuring Confederation, member
Tampa Bay Bankruptcy Bar Association, board member
Central Florida Bankruptcy Law Association, member
Inns of Court, Ferguson White Inn of Court
National Conference of Bankruptcy Judges - Next Generation Award 2017
South Tampa YMCA - Advisory Board member
Bay Area Legal Services, volunteer
Credit Abuse Resistance Education, Presenter (ABI)