Maryellen Madden focuses her practice on complex litigation and commercial disputes, including securities, corporate governance, real estate, commercial contracts, health care and the sale and distribution of goods. She has handled litigation in 22 states, as well as before domestic and international arbitration panels, administrative agencies and industry self-regulatory organizations.
- Representative matters handled by Maryellen Madden include:
- Represented Pennsylvania transit authorities in defense of statutory liability caps.
- Represented Pennsylvania transit authorities in regulatory proceedings involving hours of service.
- Represented large urban transit authority in defending construction claims, ADA claims and First Amendment advertising claims.
- Represented underwriters and issuers in national securities class actions.
- Represented witnesses and parties in investigations and proceedings before the Securities and Exchange Commission.
- Defended and prosecuted commercial fraud claims, including RICO claims and claims brought under unfair trade practice laws.
- Defended service providers and manufacturers against claims arising out of the termination of dealers and distributors.
- Defended builders, owners and contractors against construction claims.
- Represented a large public company in a "deepening insolvency proceeding."
- Represented and advised parties in corporate acquisitions on claims arising out of "buy-out" agreements.
- Represented and advised parties in connection with real estate title claims, including adverse possession claims.
- Represented mortgage insurers in actions arising out of fraudulently procured policies.
- Represented transportation authorities and railroads in connection with the assertion of federal preemption.
- Represented a large governmental entity in a dispute over tax treaties with another governmental entity and related mortgage foreclosure proceedings involving a large tract of developed property.
- Represented railroads in federal preemption issues.
- Advised and negotiated on behalf of a federal agency in connection with the disposition of its mortgage loan portfolio.
- Negotiated and litigated claims involving corporate governance and control, condominium association disputes and homeowner association disputes.
- Litigated a wide variety of issues involving health care, including disputes over ownership of monies donated to research institutes, termination of physician practice groups and hospital procurement.
Prior to joining Buchanan, Maryellen was a partner with a major multidisciplinary law firm in the Mid-Atlantic region.
Duke University, J.D., 1972, with honors
University of Denver, B.A., 1969, Political Science
Pennsylvania Bar Association
Philadelphia Bar Association
Transgender Legal Defense and Education Fund, Board of Directors
William Way LGBT Community Center, Board Member