Mary Sue Henifin is an experienced litigator who represents individuals and corporations in a wide array of legal and business matters.
Clients rely on her significant experience to handle complex business disputes in state and federal courts in New Jersey, New York, California, Pennsylvania and Connecticut, including contract, intellectual property, employment, health care, tax, real estate, environmental, and white-collar matters. Her work and experience include internal investigations, regulatory matters, mediations, arbitrations and due diligence. Many of her matters involve complex technical facts and issues and corporate counseling on risk management and strategy.
A sample of her recent representations includes:
- Defended developer of biometric security technology in license dispute filed in federal court resulting in favorable settlement for client.
- Defended developer and manufacturer of military technology in royalty dispute filed in federal court resulting in favorable settlement for client.
- Represented client in the investigation of a whistle-blowing incident involving allegations of vendor fraud and misappropriation of grant funds.
- Defended a client in a trade secret misappropriation suit involving the application of sophisticated 3-D modeling software.
- Represented a global energy company in a civil and criminal environmental investigation being conducted by a state attorney general.
- Defended a distributor of computerized archival systems against a shareholder derivative suit alleging breach of fiduciary duties in the awarding of executive compensation.
- Represented a technology service provider in litigation involving licensing of the company's intellectual property.
- Represented a company in responding to a grand jury subpoena.
- Represented a large manufacturer in the investigation of a whistle-blowing incident involving an ex-employee who alleged environmental criminal activity on the part of the plant managers.
- Conducted an internal investigation and subsequently developed an environmental compliance program for a manufacturer.
She is a sought-after speaker and lecturer on the use of expert witnesses and other trial evidence issues to state and federal bar and judicial organizations across the country. She has chaired programs for the Institute of Continuing Legal Education on litigation and expert witness issues and has taught Business Law and Ethics in the MBA Program at Rider University.
She co-wrote chapters on toxicology for the Reference Manual on Scientific Evidence, a treatise for federal court judges published by the Federal Judicial Center, which is frequently cited in both state and federal court opinions. Mary Sue also co-authored the New Jersey Trial and Evidence Treatise and the New Jersey Brownfields Law.
Martindale-Hubbell® has awarded Mary Sue an AV® rating, which identifies a lawyer with pre-eminent legal ability. For several years, Mary Sue has been selected by her peers for inclusion on both the New Jersey Super Lawyers® list and the Corporate Counsel Super Lawyers® list. She has been selected to The Best Lawyers in America© list since 2021 for Commercial Litigation.
Prior to entering private practice, Mary Sue served for three years as a deputy attorney general for the state of New Jersey, where she prosecuted complex environmental and white-collar criminal matters.
To learn more about industry rankings, click here.
No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey.
Rutgers School of Law - Newark, J.D., 1985, with honors, Research Editor of the Law Review
Columbia University, M.P.H., 1981
Harvard College, B.A., 1977, cum laude, Biology
- New Jersey
- New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
Trustee, Association of the Federal Bar of the State of New Jersey
Member, Lawyers Advisory Committee to the Federal District Court for the District of New Jersey
Past chair of the Legal Committee, former member of the Audit Committee and Board of Trustees, University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey
Former Executive in Residence, Rider University Executive MBA Program, Business Law and Ethics Course
Former Trustee, Princeton Area Community Foundation (2007-2012)
Trustee, University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey (2009-2012)