How Martin Helps Clients
Martin focuses his practice on complex commercial litigation, including contract and lease disputes, business torts, antitrust, and price-fixing claims. In addition, Martin’s litigation practice also includes an active land use component that involves zoning challenges and appeals, as well as energy-related litigation. Martin regularly represents clients in state and federal courts in Virginia, Maryland, and the District of Columbia, as well as before various administrative agencies.
Prior to joining Buchanan, Martin was an associate at a large national law firm where he gained extensive experience representing employers involved in litigation arising under Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA), the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA), 42 U.S.C. § 1981, as well as various state laws. Martin continues to maintain an active employment litigation and counseling practice.
Martin learned the value of providing pro bono legal services while working as a student attorney in the Washington College of Law’s General Practice Clinic. There, he presented underprivileged individuals in domestic, employment and other civil matters in Maryland and the District of Columbia.
What Clients Can Expect
In order to effectively represent his clients’ interests, Martin works closely with his clients to develop a thorough understanding of their business and objectives. He is sensitive to the ever-rising costs of litigation and strives to develop case strategies that are both aggressive and cost-effective. Martin communicates with clients on a regular basis to ensure that they are kept fully informed of pertinent developments at each stage of litigation.
Outside the Office
A District of Columbia resident by way of Baltimore, Martin enjoys supporting the local arts community and taking advantage of the District’s ever-expanding dining scene.
- Second-chaired state court trial to favorable verdict in breach of contract suit brought by 21 former employees.
- Served as lead associate in defending series of land use challenges brought against municipality and obtaining dismissals of each.
- Served as lead associate in litigation brought against energy pipeline company for alleged fraud. Matter was a case of first impression, was dismissed on the pleadings in favor of client, and affirmed on appeal.
- Obtained favorable settlement for staffing company in an employee classification suit.
- Served as lead associate in a discrimination case against a retirement community brought under Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and 42 U.S.C. § 1981, which resulted in summary judgment on all claims in favor of client.
- Obtained dismissal of multiple fraud claims brought against major business consulting firm.
- Represented individual employee in defamation case brought against the employee and his employer, which resulted in a dismissal of all claims.
- Represented a hospitality services company in a lawsuit brought by a former employee for alleged violations of the ADA and FMLA. Matter resulted in a favorable settlement for the client.
American University, Washington College of Law, J.D., 2013, cum laude
Stevenson University, B.S., 2009
- District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
- U.S. District Court for the District of Maryland
- U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court for the District of North Dakota
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit