Marc Adler is an intellectual property attorney and strategist who helps in-house teams turn inventions and patent portfolios into business value drivers. Drawing upon years of experience as Chief Patent Counsel for a Fortune 100 company, and as an independent consultant, Marc brings business thinking to portfolio development and management. He helps clients develop and link patent and trade secret strategies with product development decision-making to drive positive financial performance.
How Marc Helps Clients
Having served in leadership roles both within major corporations and for industry organizations, Marc is equally a trusted legal and business advisor. He broadens creative thinking about how to address competitive and market forces through a combination of legal actions, business partnerships, and effective patent and trade secret management that sustains and extends market share and profitability.
By advising in-house teams on how to consider the strategic importance of the inventions and products and services they’re protecting, and linking them to company financial objectives, Marc helps convert research and development and patent investments and management from a business cost into a component of enhanced revenue opportunities. He applies the same thinking to considering how patent and trade secret strategy can provide a sustainable competitive advantage for successive generations of products, and therefore grow and maintain business profitability over time.
With experience at a company that operated in more than 100 countries, Marc has handled the full breadth of IP issues ranging from trade secret theft to patent office procedures and patent infringement cases across the global landscape.
Marc also helps clients protect confidential information by conducting a thorough Trade Secret Audit.
In 2019, Marc was named a world-leading IP Strategist by IAM Strategy 300 - The World's Leading IP Strategists.
What Clients Can Expect
Clients appreciate Marc’s perspective as a former in-house counsel and passion for results. He not only can relate to the increasing responsibility of general counsel to contribute to company financial performance, but he also has managed relationships with outside counsel. He places a high priority on client service, communication, budget management and focus on achieving the client’s business goals.
Effective IP strategy is developed in alignment with business goals, and assured through flawless implementation by a talented and focused team.
Outside the Office
Marc’s interests include fly fishing, listening to jazz and being an abstract watercolorist - each of which nourish creativity, technical excellence and the ability to express solutions in unique ways.
- Guided intellectual property asset and strategy activities for a $2 billion U.S.-based corporation that grew to a profitable Fortune 100 $16 billion global entity
- Created and utilized a novel process to develop and implement quantitative-based IP strategies for companies ranging from startups to established major brands
- Deep experience navigating global IP laws and practices, and associated cultural and jurisdictional differences
- Participated in development of US patent law legislation, global patent office harmonization and US Patent Office Advisory Committee Quality Initiative
- Frequent speaker and moderator on trending IP topics critical to in house counsel that intersect with execution of business strategy
- Marc is a past president of the Intellectual Property Owners and the Association of Corporate Patent Counsel and has also served on the USPTO Public Advisory Council.
St. John’s University School of Law, J.D., 1980
University of Florida, M.S., 1973, Chemical Engineering
City College of the City Univer. of New York, B.S., 1972, Chemical Engineering
- New York
- United States Patent and Trademark Office
Intellectual Property Owners Association, President (2006-2007)
Intellectual Property Owners Association Education Foundation Board of Directors (2003-present)
Association of Corporate Patent Counsel, Executive Committee (2003-2006); Secretary (2004); President (2006)