Louis M. DeStefano
- New Jersey Super Lawyers list every year from 2005-2016.
- Secured defense judgment in favor of business owners in a three-week jury trial involving claims by plaintiffs of joint ownership of $8 million business.
- Represented an automobile manufacturer on a nationwide basis with respect to environmental issues associated with more than 80 rental car locations, including underground storage tank management involving regulatory compliance; oversight of remedial activities and defense of property damage, and third-party claims. In connection therewith, defended claims for reimbursement of cleanup costs filed by airport agencies throughout the United States.
- Secured a directed verdict at conclusion of plaintiff's case on behalf of a major oil company dismissing claims by service station operator under the Petroleum Marketing Practices Act and upholding termination of dealership.
- Represented oil company defendants in more than 100 litigated cases involving leaking underground storage tanks.
- Obtained dismissal of claim for a cleanup related to contamination associated with a service station site based on principle of primary jurisdiction of regulatory agency.
- Obtained summary judgment, upheld on appeal, dismissing claim against an oil company for property devaluation and cleanup costs for contamination at service station where subsequent purchaser failed to conduct environmental investigation of site pursuant to contract of sale.
- Defended a multimillion-dollar claim by developer for consequential damages (loss of profits, construction delays, etc.) allegedly incurred as a result of contamination migrating from a nearby service station.
- Dismissal of claim for personal injury based on plaintiff's failure to establish a causal connection between exposure to contamination and injury
- Defended an oil company against a claim by a residential condominium association regarding property damage relating to alleged release from service station.
- Defended oil company client against claim by New Jersey Highway Authority with respect to contamination at seven service stations located along the Garden State Parkway.
- Represented 18 companies as common counsel in connection with suit filed by USEPA seeking past costs relating to a Superfund site located in Irvington, New Jersey, and in connection therewith, utilized the applicable statute of limitation and petroleum exclusion to significantly reduce EPA's demand leading to a favorable resolution.
- Represented more than 40 companies as common counsel with respect to EPA's claim for past costs and performance of cleanup with respect to a Superfund site located in Camden, N.J., and in connection therewith, utilized the concept of divisibility of harm to significantly reduce the government's claim for past costs and to establish fixed limits of remediation.
- Represented of eight companies as common counsel with respect to a Superfund site in Pennsauken, N.J.
- Defended individual clients in many Superfund matters, including sediment cases and cost recovery actions instituted by governmental agencies and private parties throughout the United States.
- Represented many clients with respect to environmental issues involved in the sale, purchase and/or development of commercial and Brownfield properties.
- Represented an automobile manufacturer with respect to the cleanup of former plant site and its redevelopment into a golf course.
- Represented a client with respect to the cleanup of former disposal site and use of site redevelopment features as part of remedy.
- Represented a client with respect to environmental issues associated with the sale of former automotive assembly plant.
- Represented client with respect to environmental issues associated with the purchase out of bankruptcy of a former automotive assembly plant.
- Represented a client with respect to the purchase of 16 gasoline service stations located in New Jersey and Pennsylvania.
- Provided oversight/guidance to many clients navigating New Jersey's ISRA and site cleanup requirements.
- Represented several clients in negotiations with NJDEP regarding resolution of natural resource damages.