How Kira Helps Clients
Kira Lum concentrates her practice on complex litigation, handling commercial disputes, environmental matters, intellectual property litigation, insurance coverage issues and white-collar criminal defense. She is experienced in multi-party environmental litigation and environmental indemnity claims relating to Superfund sites. Her representation has included charter schools, healthcare systems, governmental entities, medical device manufacturers, banks and loan servicers, and a multinational restaurant franchisor.
Kira maintains an active pro-bono practice. She has represented incarcerated clients facing death penalty charges, as well as provided free legal representation through the Eastern District of Pennsylvania Prisoner Civil Rights Panel.
While in law school, Kira served as the Managing Editor of the Cornell Journal of Law and Public Policy. She formerly served as a legal extern to the Hon. Stephen Reinhardt of the U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit. Before joining Buchanan, Kira worked for The Rape Foundation through the Santa-Monica UCLA Medical Center, and in museums and commercial art galleries.
Outside the Office
A native of California, Kira returned to Philadelphia after completing Buchanan’s 2014 Summer Associate Program and graduating from Cornell Law School. In her free time, she enjoys painting watercolors, writing and playing pick-up soccer.
- Steffey v. Agora Cyber Charter School, in the Eastern District of Pennsylvania (2019) – Obtained early dismissal of constitutional claims asserted by a former Trustee against a Pennsylvania cyber charter school.
- Authored a brief regarding prosecutorial misconduct, and aided in the ultimate vacation of a death sentence by the decision, Pennsylvania v. Brown; in the Supreme Court of Pennsylvania (2018).
- Oetting v. Heffler, Radetich & Saitta, LLP, in the Eastern District of Pennsylvania (2017) – Aided in the complete dismissal, on a motion for reconsideration, of class action claims that alleged fraud, breach of fiduciary duty, and negligence.
- Represented a provider of services to individuals with disabilities in civil rights and zoning litigation.
- Successfully defended a multinational restaurant franchisor in landlord-tenant disputes.
- Represented clients undergoing government investigations, including manufacturers of medical devices and automobiles.
- Conducted internal investigations of charter schools.
- Successfully obtained a permanent injunction in a trademark dispute in the Eastern District of Pennsylvania.
Cornell Law School, J.D., 2015
University of California, Los Angeles, B.A., 2008, College Honors and Departmental Honors distinctions, cum laude, Art History, Minor in East Asian Languages
- New Jersey
Asian Pacific Bar Association of Pennsylvania, Member
Pennsylvania Academy of Fine Art, Exhibitions Committee