How Kira Helps Clients
Kira Lum concentrates her practice on complex litigation, including handling commercial disputes, real estate and zoning matters, intellectual property litigation, matrimonial actions and white-collar criminal defense. She is experienced in internal investigations. Her representation has included medical device manufacturers, banks and loan servicers, charter schools, pharmaceutical companies and a multinational restaurant franchisor.
Kira maintains an active pro-bono practice. She has represented incarcerated clients facing death penalty charges, as well as provided free legal representation through the Eastern District of Pennsylvania Prisoner Civil Rights Panel. She has provided pro bono counsel to clients facing domestic violence and victims of securities fraud.
While in law school, Kira served as the Managing Editor of the Cornell Journal of Law and Public Policy. She formerly served as a legal extern to the Hon. Stephen Reinhardt of the U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit. Before joining Buchanan, Kira worked for The Rape Foundation through the Santa-Monica UCLA Medical Center, and in museums and commercial art galleries.
Kira is conversational in Japanese and French.
Outside the Office
A native of California, Kira returned to Philadelphia after completing Buchanan’s 2014 Summer Associate Program and graduating from Cornell Law School. In her free time, she enjoys writing, classical Japanese dance, reading science fiction and playing pick-up soccer. She is actively involved in the growing art and music industries in the Philadelphia area.
- Represented a provider of services to individuals with disabilities in civil rights and zoning litigation
- Successfully obtained a permanent injunction in a trademark dispute
- Represented medical device manufacturers and distributors in government investigations
- Successfully defended a multinational restaurant franchisor in landlord-tenant disputes
- Represented clients in federal class action claims alleging fraud, breach of fiduciary duty, and negligence
- Represented a pharmaceutical manufacturer in a complex arbitration matter
Cornell Law School, J.D., 2015
University of California, Los Angeles, B.A., 2008, College Honors and Departmental Honors distinctions, cum laude, Art History, Minor in East Asian Languages
- New Jersey
Asian Pacific Bar Association of Pennsylvania, Member
Philly Bruins, Planning Committee
Pennsylvania Academy of Fine Art, Exhibitions Committee