How Jordan Helps Clients
Jordan Maglich has a broad practice focused on complex commercial litigation, securities and financial services, and regulatory matters. Jordan often serves as counsel to receivers appointed in connection with regulatory enforcement actions brought by federal and state regulators including the Securities and Exchange Commission, Commodity Futures Trading Commission, Federal Trade Commission, and the Florida Office of Financial Regulation. Jordan also counsels individuals and entities that are the subject or focus of investigatory or enforcement proceedings by state and federal regulators.
Jordan regularly practices in state, federal, and bankruptcy courts in matters involving a wide variety of civil disputes and other business-related litigation. Jordan also has significant experience in arbitration forums, including the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA). In addition to defending broker-dealers and their associated persons named in FINRA proceedings by customers and/or departing associated persons, Jordan has also obtained various affirmative relief including injunctive relief to prevent non-customers from proceeding in arbitral forums as well as the recovery of transition and incentive payments to departed or terminated associated persons.
He has extensive experience in fraud matters and wrongdoing involving financial malfeasance. Drawing on this experience, Jordan is the founder and editor of Ponzitracker, which tracks the proliferation of Ponzi schemes and provides regular analysis on the topic. Jordan is regularly sought out by local and national media sources for comment on various matters involving Ponzi schemes and financial services, and his commentary has been featured in The Wall Street Journal, The New York Times, CNBC, and other media. Jordan is also a frequent panelist and speaker on these topics.
What Clients Can Expect
Jordan is a creative problem solver who uses his experience to help his clients both deal with existing issues and proactively ward off future potential problems. Jordan provides his clients with a wide range of solutions concerning high-stakes litigation and ensures they are always aware of any regulatory changes which can negatively impact their business. Above all, Jordan values providing excellent and efficient client service.
Outside the Office
Jordan enjoys spending time with his family in Tampa. He and his wife are avid scuba divers and enjoy spearfishing and fishing. When he isn’t on the water, Jordan enjoys traveling and staying involved in his community.
Jordan also has a strong commitment to pro bono service. During his career, Jordan has served as a Guardian ad Litem for multiple at-risk children and also was appointed as pro bono counsel for a federal inmate that ultimately resulted in a favorable settlement with the inmate’s correctional institution. Jordan is also proud of his service for the Clemency Initiative, which resulted in President Obama granting his petitions to commute the sentences of several individuals serving then-life sentences for low-level drug offenses.
- Selected to participate in the Leadership Tampa Class of 2021
- Selected for inclusion in Florida Super Lawyers® - Rising Stars Edition (2015-present)
- Martindale Hubbell AV Preeminent® Rating
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America® "Ones to Watch" (2021 & 2022, Commercial Litigation)
- Listed in Florida Trend’s Legal Elite Up and Comers
- Awarded the President’s Award and Pro Bono Service and Excellence Award by the Tampa Bay Chapter of the Federal Bar Association
- HCBA Leadership Institute, Class of 2015-2016
- Florida Business Observer 40 Under 40 (2019)
- Representing court-appointed receivers nominated by the SEC, FTC, Florida Office of the Attorney General, and the Florida Office of Financial Regulation. This included marshaling and securing assets as well as pursuing litigation against third parties based on their participation in the scheme or receipt of fraudulent transfers. Through those efforts, victims collectively received at least 50% of their respective allowed claims.
- Experience in identifying, seizing, and liquidating various cryptocurrency assets.
- Defended an affiliate marketer accused of violations of the Commodities Exchange Act through the alleged promotion of binary options.
- Defended individuals in investigations and actions initiated by the SEC and FINRA involving insider trading, microcap fraud, pump and dump schemes, bond underwriting, registration issues, attorney opinion letters, and the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act.
- Successfully defended a national financial services firm accused of violations of Regulation SHO which resulted in denial of plaintiffs’ claims after trial.
- Secured major brokerage house’s dismissal from FINRA arbitration based on ineligibility of claims.
- Obtained full repayment of client’s six-figure investment in private placement investment over misrepresentations in offering materials.
- Defended broker-dealer and its registered principal in SEC investigation and subsequent administrative proceeding.
- Obtained multiple injunctions enjoining non-customers from compelling brokerage firm’s participation in FINRA arbitration.
- Defended individual subpoenaed by DOJ relating to undeclared foreign bank accounts.
- Conducted an internal investigation for a national financial services firm under investigation by the Florida Office of Financial Regulation and the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority.
University of Miami School of Law, J.D., 2010, cum laude, Charles C. Papy, Jr. Moot Court (Member, Moot Court Board); Dean's Merit Scholarship (Recipient, 2006-2010)
University of Miami School of Business, M.B.A., 2010, Graduate Assistantship Recipient (2008-2010), Finance Concentration
University of Florida, B.A./B.S., 2006, cum laude, Business Administration & Political Science
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Middle District of Florida
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Florida
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida
Federal Bar Association, Member; Editorial Board (2014-2016)
Tampa Bay Chapter of the Federal Bar Association, Executive Board Member, President
Florida Bar 13th Circuit Grievance Committee “E,” Chair (2018-2021)
Hillsborough County Bar Association, Member
National Association of Federal Equity Receivers (NAFER), Member
Securities Law Section of Hillsborough County Bar Association, Committee Member
American Bar Association, Member
Florida Guardian ad Litem Program