John Goldsmith assists clients by acting essentially as their outside general counsel and business advisor. He represents and advises large public and private organizations, as well as individuals and family-held businesses, on business structural, corporate, contractual, merger and acquisition, real estate, tax and environmental matters.
How John Helps Clients
John’s role as a business and legal advisor provides real value to his business clients. Borrowers and lenders look to John for counsel and representation on commercial financing matters. He frequently advises start-up clients in the capital formation and fundraising stages of development. And he assists on all corporate and real estate aspects of New Jersey acquisitions and mergers. In addition, John represents nonprofit organizations on corporate and tax issues.
A trained mediator, John provides mediation services for the New Jersey Superior Court civil mediation program.
In addition to being recognized by the following ranking organizations for excellence in his profession, John is also a frequently requested speaker for continuing education seminars.
- Selected to the New Jersey Super Lawyers, 2006, 2007 and 2013-2015
- Selected by peers for inclusion in the 2014-2019 Best Lawyers in America® list in the Corporate Law and Environmental Law categories and named "Lawyer of the Year" in 2016 and 2017
- Garnered Martindale-Hubbell’s® AV® Preeminent distinction peer review rating, the highest available mark for professional excellence, and listed as a “Top Rated Lawyer.”
Outside the Office
John serves on the board of directors of several New Jersey non-profit, tax-exempt corporations and is active in a number of local and statewide business organizations. He also loves serving as dad and granddad to four grown children and four grandchildren. His wife runs a successful interior design business.
- Represented a licensed assisted living care facility in two rounds of HUD financing
- Represented a New Jersey provider of affordable housing in several development projects
- Counseled many companies in connection with real estate transactions involving compliance with the New Jersey Industrial Site Remediation Act
- Counseled purchases of major New Jersey industrial operations on many issues relating to environmental liabilities and regulatory matters
- Represented a foreign medical provider in connection with the lease of a substantial portion of an office building in connection with its conversion to a clinic and medical office building
To learn more about industry rankings, click here.
No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey.
Georgetown University Law Center, J.D., 1976
Georgetown University, B.A., 1973, magna cum laude, History
- New Jersey
American Bar Association Section of International Law
New Jersey State Bar Association
Chairman of the Board, Board of Trustees: Partnership for Maternal & Child Health of Northern New Jersey
Founding board member, Write on Sports, Inc.
Outside counsel to the Bronx Children’s Museum