How Heather Helps Clients
Heather Alleva focuses her practice on representation of health systems, hospitals, physician groups, behavioral health facilities and other healthcare providers in a broad range of regulatory and compliance matters. She represents clients in mergers, acquisitions, affiliations, provider integration and other strategic transactions, as well as in reimbursement disputes with public and private payors.
Heather frequently counsels clients on state and federal regulation of healthcare providers, state and federal fraud and abuse matters, professional licensing issues, changes of ownership, payor enrollment, and HIPAA compliance. She is also experienced with billing and other internal investigations, including investigations of data-security incidents and breaches. In addition, Heather frequently counsels clients with respect to disclosure of compliance issues to state, federal, and commercial payors and has experience preparing, submitting, and resolving matters under various self-disclosure protocols. Heather also advises healthcare clients on corporate issues and assists with contractual relationships, including by drafting and negotiating physician (and other non-physician clinician) employment agreements.
Heather also assists clients in establishing telehealth and telemedicine programs, consulting on the practice of medicine, data security, and reimbursement issues that arise in the context of virtual care.
Prior to joining the firm, Heather served as a law clerk for both the University of Pennsylvania, Office of the General Counsel and the Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia.
Heather is a volunteer attorney with the Homeless Advocacy Project, an organization which serves the legal and advocacy needs of homeless individuals and families in Philadelphia. She is currently one of the youngest members of the American Health Lawyers Association Women’s Leadership Council, writing and speaking on behalf of the organization to help women members enhance skills in networking and professional development. In addition, Heather regularly writes and presents to legal industry associations on a variety of health law topics.
What Clients Can Expect
Given Heather’s experience, including with one of the nation’s largest health systems, she has the ability to relate to her clients, understand their needs and quickly solve their unique issues. Her clients appreciate her proactive nature, excellent communication and tenacity as she serves both as an attorney, but also a trusted advisor.
Outside the Office
Heather enjoys spending time with friends and family, exploring the Philadelphia BYO scene and the numerous spin studios in the city. She is an avid Philadelphia sports fan and dreams of seeing the Flyers win the Stanley Cup. Heather also travels as much as work allows, enjoys listening to history and political podcasts, and considers herself a Super Fan of both “Survivor” and “The Walking Dead.”
In addition, Heather actively volunteers with various organizations within in the community, including: Communicare, a non-profit organization that assists elderly residents who wish to live independently; Youth Work Foundation, an organization that which provides civic education and scholarships to high school students in the Philadelphia area; and the Union League of Philadelphia’s Table 1986 group, an organization of working women who meet to discuss business opportunities and career advancement.
- Served as lead associate in the sale of five clinical trial sites owned by a clinical research organization.
- Served as lead associate and assisted in the integration of a specialty hospital with a Pennsylvania multi-hospital health system.
- Represented out-of-network healthcare providers in successfully resolving underpayments and alleged overpayment refund demands by commercial health insurance plans.
- Assisted with investigations and counseling of various healthcare providers facing allegations of violations of the Stark Law, Anti-Kickback Statute, and other state and federal fraud and abuse statutes, as well as disclosures of such compliance issues to state and federal payors.
- Served as lead associate in various investigations into data-security incidents, including disclosures of HIPAA breaches to OCR.
- Assisted a client in establishing a telehealth program, including the negotiation of service agreements, restructuring of an existing program to avoid the improper practice of medicine across state lines, and mitigating other regulatory and licensure issues around non-physician practitioners.
- Led a client team in negotiating a settlement agreement resolving both corporate and compliance issues related to laboratory services.
- Assisted multiple residential facilities in reviewing their compliance with and ability to receive PRTF status, in order to provide inpatient psychiatric services to Medicaid-eligible individuals under the age of 21.
- Worked on client teams aimed to help in white collar defense matters, including conducting internal investigations to respond to civil and criminal investigative demands and to prepare for subpoenas and/or testimony.
- Continually aiding client teams to draft expert reports on structuring guidelines to protect entities from piercing the corporate veil and alter ego claims.
- Lead associate in representing large, multi-state physician practice in a restructuring plan to comply with both Pennsylvania and New Jersey regulations, as well as tax code.
- Reviewed and updated substance abuse facility’s billing policies and procedures.
- Represented behavioral health providers in conducting internal investigations of potential overpayments, non-compliance with fraud and abuse statutes and making appropriate self-disclosures to payers.
University of Pennsylvania Law School, J.D., 2016
University of Pennsylvania, M.B.E., 2016
The Pennsylvania State University, B.A., 2013, summa cum laude, History and Political Science
- New Jersey
Philadelphia Bar Association, Member; Health Law Committee Member, Large Firm Associate Committee Member
American Health Lawyers Association, Member; Women's Leadership Council Member
Youth Work Foundation of the Legacy Foundation at the Union League, Committee Member
Union League of Philadelphia, Member