How Heather Helps Clients
Heather Alleva focuses her practice on representation of health systems, hospitals, physician groups, behavioral health facilities and other healthcare providers in a broad range of regulatory and compliance matters. She represents clients in mergers, acquisitions, affiliations, provider integration and other strategic transactions, as well as in reimbursement disputes with public and private payors.
Heather frequently counsels clients on state and federal regulation of healthcare providers, state and federal fraud and abuse matters, professional licensing issues, changes of ownership, Medicare and Medicaid enrollment, and HIPAA compliance. She is also experienced with billing and other internal investigations, including investigations of data-security incidents and breaches.
During law school, Heather served as a law clerk at the University of Pennsylvania, Office of the General Counsel, where she researched and compiled licensing requirements for hospital employees and medical students, drafted memoranda pertaining to the legality of various hospital policies and collected evidence for litigation to release patients from a physician’s services. She also served as a law clerk for the Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia, where she contributed to hospital consent forms, researched and drafted memoranda pertaining to the hospital’s compliance with state Medicaid regulations, and drafted the position statement for an employment discrimination case.
Heather is a volunteer attorney with the Homeless Advocacy Project, an organization which serves the legal and advocacy needs of homeless individuals and families in Philadelphia.
What Clients Can Expect
Given Heather’s experience with one of the nation’s largest health systems, she has the ability to relate to her clients and their needs from an insider’s perspective. Clients appreciate her proactive nature, excellent communication and tenacity.
Outside the Office
Heather enjoys spending time with friends and family, exploring the Philadelphia BYO scene and the numerous spin studios in the city. She is an avid Philadelphia sports fan and dreams of seeing the Flyers win the Stanley Cup. Heather also travels as much as work allows, enjoys listening to history and political podcasts, and considers herself a Super Fan of both “Survivor” and “The Walking Dead.”
In addition, Heather actively volunteers with various organizations within in the community, including: Communicare, a non-profit organization that assists elderly residents who wish to live independently; Youth Work Foundation, an organization that which provides civic education and scholarships to high school students in the Philadelphia area; and the Union League of Philadelphia’s Table 1986 group, an organization of working women who meet to discuss business opportunities and career advancement.
- Served as lead associate in the sale of five clinical trial sites owned by a clinical research organization.
- Served as lead associate and assisted in the integration of a specialty hospital with a Pennsylvania multi-hospital health system.
- Represented out-of-network healthcare providers in successfully resolving underpayments and alleged overpayment refund demands by commercial health insurance plans.
- Reviewed and updated substance abuse facility’s billing policies and procedures.
- Assisted with investigations and counseling of various healthcare providers facing allegations of violations of the Stark Law, Anti-Kickback Statute, and other state and federal fraud and abuse statutes.
- Served as lead associate in various investigations into data-security incidents, including HIPAA breaches.
- Assisted a client in establishing a telehealth program, including the negotiation of service agreements, restructuring of an existing program to avoid the improper practice of medicine across state lines, and mitigating other regulatory and licensure issues around non-physician practitioners.
University of Pennsylvania Law School, J.D., 2016
University of Pennsylvania, M.B.E., 2016
The Pennsylvania State University, B.A., 2013, summa cum laude, History and Political Science
- New Jersey
Philadelphia Bar Association, Member; Health Law Committee Member, Large Firm Associate Committee Member
American Health Lawyers Association, Member; Women's Leadership Council
Youth Work Foundation, Committee Member
Union League of Philadelphia, Committee Member