How Frederick Helps Clients
Frederick is a seasoned litigator who has experience guiding clients through all stages of litigation, trial, and appeal. He also provides data privacy counseling and incident response services for his clients. Frederick’s practice areas include:
- Complex business and commercial litigation
- Healthcare, professional liability, and elder abuse litigation
- Employment litigation
- Data privacy and cybersecurity counseling
- Data breach response
- Advertising and marketing counseling
What Clients Can Expect
Frederick has directly supervised litigation and regulatory compliance for a wide range of clients including: hospitals and healthcare systems; software and platform service providers; international retail; public entities; real estate developers; franchisors; financial institutions; and technology companies. This broad range of experience gives Frederick cross-sector perspective and allows him to provide clients with informed and effective decision-making advice about operation, litigation, and compliance.
Prior to entering private practice, Frederick spent two years as a federal judicial law clerk at the United States District Court for the Southern District of California. As a former federal judicial law clerk, Frederick can help clients analyze litigation from the perspective of the bench.
I am experienced in all phases of litigation and I am motivated to obtain the best result for our clients.
Outside the Office
Outside of the office, Frederick is an avid reader. He recently finished reading all 25 joint Hugo/Nebula award winning books, and is currently working his way through Time’s list of the 100 Best Novels of all time. He is also a San Diego native, enjoys spending time at the beach with his family and loves going to Padres games.
Data Privacy & Incident Response
- Frederick has received numerous certifications from the IAPP, the global industry standard for privacy professionals, including:
- Certified Information Privacy Professional/United States (CIPP/US);
- Certified Information Privacy Manager (CIPM);
- Certified Information Privacy Professional/Canada (CIPP/C);
- Certified Information Privacy Technologist (CIPT); and
- Certified Information Privacy Professional/Europe (CIPP/E).
- Successfully managed data breach incident responses on behalf of domestic and international clients.
- Successfully drafted and updated privacy policies, vendor contracts, data sharing agreements, and security protocols for domestic and international clients.
- Prepared ACC NCR presentation materials on CCPA compliance, “Five Best Practices for Compliance with the CCPA.”
- Prepared presentation materials for AG’s office on federal contractor and vendor cybersecurity best practices.
- Regularly monitors emergent data privacy legislation and provides forward-thinking counseling and advice to clients in multiple industries.
- Provided data privacy counseling for healthcare clients in relation to COVID-19 testing protocols.
- Provides privacy by design product counseling to clients in multiple industries.
- Assisted biotech startup apply for and obtain licensure to collect, produce, and sell biologic and genetic products in multiple jurisdictions.
- Second-chaired trial to jury verdict on behalf of residential care facility and healthcare professionals.
- Won motion for summary judgment on behalf of hospital in case alleging elder abuse and medical malpractice.
- Won award of monetary sanctions for failure to comply with discovery order on behalf of hospital and nationwide healthcare system.
- Won motion to compel arbitration for corporate client in suit alleging disability discrimination, and subsequently obtained dismissal of claims through motion for summary adjudication.
- Won motion to dismiss FDCPA/TCPA claims in United States District Court for the Southern District of California.
- Won dismissal of suits brought against online vacation rental platform based on lack of personal jurisdiction in multiple jurisdictions.
- Won dismissal of suit brought against international perfume manufacturer based on lack of personal jurisdiction in California.
- Won award of monetary sanctions in discovery battle, resulting in plaintiffs’ voluntary dismissal of all claims against represented defendants.
- Won appeal in California’s Fourth District Court of Appeal regarding statutory compliance with Government Claims Act, resulting in dismissal of entire action on behalf of public entity.
- Won appeal in Ninth Circuit Court of Appeal in case involving allegations of employment discrimination, RICO conspiracy, and breach of contract, resulting in affirmation of trial court victory.
California Western School of Law, J.D., 2013
Bucknell University, B.A., 2010
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of California
International Association of Privacy Professionals, Member
American Health Law Association, Member
San Diego County Federal Bar Association, Member
Association of Business Trial Lawyers, Member
California Lawyers Association, Privacy Bar, Member