How Deniz Helps Clients
Deniz represents employers through various stages of employment litigation. She focuses her practice on defending against claims of discrimination on the basis of gender, race, national origin, religion, disability, sexual orientation and age, in addition to claims of harassment, wrongful discharge, retaliation, hostile work environment, whistle-blowing and wage disputes in the employment setting. Deniz has defended public and private employers of varying sizes against matters in state and federal court and various administrative agencies, including the EEOC, the PHRC, the NJ Division on Civil Rights and the NJ Department of Labor.
Deniz also engages in frequent employment counseling for employers, serving as a point of contact for management and their respective HR departments in times of need and inquiry. She prepares employment policies and handbooks, employment contracts, medical and religious accommodation policies and EEO policies to afford compliance with FMLA, FLSA, ADA and OSHA’s standards for health and safety in the workplace. Deniz also counsels employers on such policies, investigations and other related employment issues.
Deniz conducts frequent training sessions for her clients, which range from training for HR and management to company-wide trainings for all employees. She has experience training employers and employees on topics such as social media in the workplace, the #metoo movement, privacy in the workplace, best practices for conducting workplace investigations, medical marijuana in the workplace, anti-discrimination and anti-harassment, wage and hour law, performance evaluations, and workplace violence and emergency situations.
Prior to joining Buchanan, Deniz served as a judicial extern to the Honorable Thomas L. Ambro of the United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit, held a judicial clerkship with the Honorable Raymond A. Batten, Presiding Chancery Judge of the New Jersey Superior Court’s Atlantic and Cape May Vicinages, and was an associate in the Labor & Employment group at an insurance defense firm in Philadelphia, focusing primarily on employment litigation for matters arising out of Employment Practices Liability Insurance (“EPLI”).
What Clients Can Expect
Deniz recognizes the individualized approach that each client deserves and runs her practice to afford her clients with adequate attention to detail to facilitate high-quality results.
Outside the Office
Deniz enjoys traveling, playing tennis and exploring Philadelphia’s ever-expanding restaurant scene.
- Successfully defended luxury hotel in arbitration against claim for wrongful termination by former employee.
- Successfully represented employers being investigated by the Department of Labor for “misclassification” and “off the clock” claims.
- Successfully argued dispositive motion in federal court, resulting in the dismissal of claims for discrimination and wrongful termination against client employer.
- Represented former CEO of business that was wrongfully denied severance and reached successful verdict and was awarded attorneys’ fees in arbitration.
Widener University School of Law, J.D., 2014, cum laude
Muhlenberg College, B.A., 2011, Political Science, Media & Communication
- New Jersey
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey
Pennsylvania Bar Association
Philadelphia Bar Association