How David Helps Clients
David A. Schumacher is a commercial litigator who handles cases in both state and federal courts across the country. David focuses his practice on antitrust, contract disputes, trade secrets, restrictive covenants and business torts in various industries, including pharmaceutical, medical device, hospitality, insurance, consumer products and financial services. His varied practice has also included employment disputes, drafting contracts and settlement agreements, patent and other intellectual property disputes, First Amendment issues and criminal defense. He has examined witnesses in depositions and arbitrations and has experience in discovery matters, preliminary injunctions, motion practice and briefing. David also has significant experience in electronic discovery and is a member of the firm’s E-Discovery team.
What Clients Can Expect
In every case, David possesses a strong command of the legal issues and works tirelessly to develop creative solutions to those issues. He prides himself on his professionalism, responsiveness and efficiency because he is highly committed to his clients and is looking out for their best interests.
Outside the Office
Born and raised in South Jersey, David and his family live near his childhood home, where they enjoy Philadelphia’s sports teams and trips to the shore.
- Tried a dispute in which the plaintiff alleged failure to use "best efforts" under a patent license agreement had resulted in millions of dollars in damages, only to seek and agree upon a settlement after the first day of trial in the Western District of Texas.
- Took depositions, obtained other discovery, and drafted briefs in a breach of contract action where the client settled for less than 3 percent of the plaintiff’s claimed damages in the Eastern District of Oklahoma.
- Was a member of a trial team which won jury verdicts rejecting over $8 million in claims for breach of contract and tortious interference and awarding $130,000 on counterclaim for misuse of confidential information after a two-week trial in Jackson County (Missouri) Circuit Court.
- Won a $1.29 million judgment against a large medical imaging center concerning a breached lease agreement where the District Court decided the matter on the papers.
- Defeated a request for an injunction in a dispute between former business partners that would have forced the liquidation of one of the best-performing long-term capital investment funds in the United States.
The Catholic University of America, Columbus School of Law, J.D., 2009, cum laude
University of Virginia, B.A., 2003
- New Jersey
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey
Philadelphia Bar Association
UVa Club of Philadelphia
Chamber of Commerce Southern New Jersey
Philadelphia Bar Foundation Board Observer Program, 2015-16