How David Helps Clients
David L. Plantz helps institutional lenders negotiate and document credit facilities secured by commercial real estate and assists his clients in navigating the related finance and real estate issues. His typical transactions range from $15-200 Million and span the breadth of the United States. Examples include syndicated and bilateral credit facilities secured by shopping centers, healthcare facilities, multi-family projects, marina-based mixed-use projects and other income producing collateral.
David also represents national and international financial institutions in the documentation of both syndicated and bilateral asset-based and credit-based financing transactions.
In addition to his project finance practice, David has experience with commercial leasing issues, general real estate issues, Canna-business issues, and corporate and international law.
What Clients Can Expect
While David’s primary goals include advocating for favorable lending terms for his clients, he has a background in business development, which means he is sensitive to his clients’ relationships with their clients. His approach is a deal-minded one, with an aim to providing potential solutions as opposed to reasons something cannot work.
David strives to work as efficiently as possible and eliminate obstacles from his clients’ paths, while advising them on the issues at play and any alternative approaches available. He is personable, yet professional, and is responsive to his clients' questions and concerns.
David has been selected by Super Lawyers Magazine as a Rising Star consecutively since 2017.
Being an attorney means being able to figure out how to navigate complex and challenging situations, both novel and familiar. A good attorney does that with his/her clients’ goals in mind, striving to protect the client while finding a way to make their vision become reality.
Outside the Office
David attended undergrad at West Virginia University and thereafter moved to San Diego, where he obtained his Juris Doctor, cum laude, from the University of San Diego, where he was inducted into the Order of the Coif (an honor reserved for approximately 4 percent all graduates from accredited law schools). He enjoys spending time outdoors with his wife and dogs and loves football, volleyball, traveling, films, playing guitar and cooking, among other things. If he had not chosen a career in law, he might have pursued a career in entertainment or real estate development.
- Represented international financial institution in connection with $100 million revolving and overdraft facilities to American and Dutch loan parties.
- Represented domestic financial institution in the documentation of a $34 million revolving credit facility secured by personal property
- Represented domestic financial institution in the documentation of credit facility consisting of a $120 million revolving facility and a $147 million term loan, secured by personal and real property
- Represented agent in making $110 million syndicated revolving credit facility to 12 borrowers secured by a collateral pool of skilled nursing facilities located in Pennsylvania, Virginia, Indiana and North Carolina.
- Represented agent in making $72 million syndicated construction loan for a harbor, mixed-use project in Ventura Harbor, Calif.
- Represented agent in making $72,150,000 syndicated construction loan for a major hotel in Irvine, Calif.
- Represented lender in making $50 million revolving credit facility to 10 borrowers with a collateral pool of 10 assisted living facilities across Tennessee and Georgia.
- Represented seller with respect to real estate and taxation issues in the sale of its $1,100,000,000 multi-state hotel portfolio.
- Represented professional sports team with respect to ground lease and related issues.
- Represented Canna-business issue with respect to $500,000 private placement in California, Colorado, Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts, Nevada, New York, Pennsylvania, Texas, Utah and Washington.
- Represented multiple importers with respect to import/export compliance, Commerce Control List issues, Bureau of Industry and Security regulations and country of origin labeling requirements.
University of San Diego School of Law, J.D., 2012, cum laude, Order of the Coif, Phi Delta Phi, CALI Award in Contracts, Legal Writing, UCC Sales, International Sales Transaction
West Virginia University, B.A., 2003, Regency
- District of Columbia
Member, American Bar Association
Member, San Diego County Bar Association
Member, NAIOP – Commercial Real Estate Development Association
Member, Navy League of the United States
Accredited Attorney, U.S. Department of Veteran’s Affairs
Board Member, American Lung Association in California
Board Member, Emilio Nares Foundation
Pro Bono Attorney, Legal Aid Society of San Diego