- Secured funding totaling $175 million for the expansion of the David L. Lawrence Convention Center.
- Played an important role in the enactment of legislation in the Pennsylvania General Assembly's Special Session on Crime, including a statute expanding arrest powers for City of Pittsburgh police and relieving police of legal liability while in pursuit of criminals.
- Helped to secure funding totaling $9 million to assist in financing the Smithsonian Traveling Exhibit Gallery and the Western Pennsylvania Sports Hall of Fame at the Heinz Regional History Center, as well as an ongoing annual operating assistance appropriation averaging $600,000.
- Pursued legislation to create a statewide bond issue to finance county prison construction. As a result of the enactment of this legislation by the Pennsylvania General Assembly, Allegheny County received the largest grant for new jail construction of any county in the Commonwealth; in excess of $50 million.
- Represented Pennsylvania's Public Television Stations in securing $16.5 million in state funding to assist in paying the costs of station digital conversion.
- Designed the legislative plan for the Strategy 21 Economic Development Initiative, a coalition of business, government, higher education and community leaders, which resulted in the acquisition of state funding for economic development and transportation efforts in Allegheny County exceeding $750 million. Included in the projects funded were the new Pittsburgh International Airport, the Carnegie Science Center, Pittsburgh Technology Center, the Senator John Heinz Pittsburgh Regional History Center, the North Shore Development, a number of Pittsburgh Cultural District facilities, rehabilitation of various abandoned industrial sites in the Mon Valley, the Airport Southern Expressway, the Port Authority of Allegheny County West Busway and East Busway Extensions and a variety of other projects.
- Assisted the Allegheny County Sanitary Authority, as well as the 3 Rivers Wet Weather Demonstration Program in securing more than $25 million in federal Environmental Protection Agency Grants to address Sanitary Sewer Overflow remediation in Allegheny County. Additional funding of $6 million was secured to match federal appropriations.
- Directed the effort on behalf of the City of Pittsburgh, Allegheny County, Port Authority, the Pittsburgh Pirates and Pittsburgh Steelers to acquire funding for the extension of the Light Rail Transit Line (North Shore Connector) and various highway improvements to enhance the development of Pittsburgh's downtown and North Shore.
- Gained the enactment by the General Assembly of the Tax Increment Financing statute which is being used by communities through the Commonwealth as an important tool in economic revitalization efforts.
We follow industry news and trends so you can stay ahead of the game. Subscribe to receive emails regarding policies and findings that impact you and your business.
Already a subscriber and want to update your preferences? Click here.