How Briana Helps Clients
Briana handles cases from commencement through trial, walking clients through the investigation, discovery and trial processes. She represents a wide variety of clients including resorts, construction companies, schools, municipalities, homeowners’ associations, pharmaceutical companies, various small businesses of all types and individuals. She focuses her practice on commercial litigation and employment law, assisting clients in cases including breach of contract and fiduciary duty, toxic tort, fraud, defamation, consumer class actions, premises and products liability, personal injury, wrongful termination, homeowners’ association matters and shareholder disputes.
Briana has served as a supervisor and mentor to junior associates and law students and is active in the San Diego legal community. Prior to joining Buchanan, she was a litigation associate for several well-known regional firms and one of the fastest growing insurance defense firms in the country. Before launching her practice as a litigation associate, Briana clerked at a pro bono legal clinic and Superior Court self-help center.
What Clients Can Expect
Briana truly cares about her clients and their personal and professional well-being. She understands that involvement in litigation - as both a plaintiff and a defendant - can be intimidating and works to explain legal and factual issues with clarity and patience. Her down-to-earth yet direct communication style sets her apart and facilitates case development and resolution. She is committed to being available to her clients and achieving practical and cost-effective resolutions to their legal concerns.
Outside the Office
Briana is a San Diego native and spends most of her time away from the office with her husband, two sons and large extended family. She is passionate about cooking, animal rescue, children’s advocacy issues and promoting diversity and inclusion.
- First chaired a state court jury trial regarding workers’ compensation insurance subrogation
- Second chaired a state court jury trial regarding breach of commercial lease that yielded judgment in favor of her retail developer client
- Second chaired a state court jury trial regarding mold exposure in a multi-family residence that yielded judgment in favor of her property manager client
- Obtained summary judgment, including attorneys’ fees, in favor of luxury resort clients in various premises liability cases
- Effectuated settlement of numerous cases by understanding her clients’ position, knowing the true value of the case, refusing to back down to unrealistic demands, and developing relationships of mutual respect with opposing parties and counsel
University of San Diego School of Law, J.D., 2010
University of Southern California, B.A., 2007, cum laude, English & Print Journalism
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of California
California State Bar, Litigation Section
Lawyer's Club of San Diego
Claims Litigation Management, Retail, Restaurant, & Hospitality Section
American Inns of Court, Welsh Inn of Court & Wallace Inn of Court
University of San Diego School of Law, volunteer mock trial judge
Lawyer Moms Foundation, volunteer
San Diego Volunteer Lawyer Project, Domestic Violence Clinic volunteer
Voices for Children, Court Appointed Special Advocate
University of New Mexico School of Law, guest deposition practices instructor
San Diego County Bar Assoc., Children at Risk Committee mock trial docent