How Brian Helps Clients
Brian is recognized as one of Harrisburg’s premier health care lobbyists with more than two decades of experience in and before state government.
Brian provides highly customized services and solutions that address client needs as well as the challenges of today’s dynamic health care environment. His areas of expertise include public health policy, health care finance and reimbursement, long-term care, Medicaid, Medicare, PACE/PACENET, managed care, pharmaceuticals, behavioral health, and health information technology. Additionally, Brian also has experience with transportation solutions, economic development and government procurement.
Brian has a proven track record of legislative and regulatory accomplishments. As former director of government affairs for the Pennsylvania Chamber of Business and Industry and senior staffer to the Senate President Pro Tempore, he played a key role in passage of numerous health care related initiatives including medical liability reform, creation of the Cover All Kids health insurance program, statewide hospital payment reform, reauthorization of the Pennsylvania Health Care Cost Containment Council, introduction of Health Savings Accounts in the Commonwealth and reform of the state’s civil justice system, among others.
His strategic vision, ability to navigate the legislative and regulatory process, and communication skills are highly valued by the firm’s clients.
What Clients Can Expect
Clients and colleagues appreciate Brian's credibility, insight, responsiveness and attention to detail.
Brian's depth and breadth of experience, along with the relationships he has built with key decision makers, give him a unique perspective. He leverages what he knows and who he knows to create substantive, practical solutions that meet clients’ needs.
First and foremost, it's my job to understand the client's goals and the business and regulatory environments in which they operate.
- Attained passage of legislation that modernizes the important fee-for-service hospital payment system, establishes enhanced hospital payments through Medicaid Managed Care Organizations (MCOs) and secures additional federal matching Medicaid funds through the establishment of the Quality Care Assessment.
- Achieved state funding increases for various healthcare providers, including nursing homes and MCOs.
- Collaborated with the pharmaceutical and managed care communities in preventing the Department of Human Services from "carving out" pharmaceutical services as a covered benefit from the HealthChoices program or the voluntary managed care program.
- Convinced legislative leaders to increase the debt ceiling for the capital budget to allow for more funding of client capital projects.
- Received funding commitments for hospital-related capital improvement projects.
- Assisted clients through the regulatory process with regard to the recently enacted assisted living regulations.
- Helped to attain passage of legislation creating a program for the use of medicinal marijuana for patients with severe medical conditions.
- Directed clients through state procurement opportunities pertaining to the Commonwealth's Medical Assistance program.
East Stroudsburg University, M.A., 1995, Political Science
Gettysburg College, B.A., 1993, Political Science
Harrisburg Regional Chamber, PAC, Health Subcommittee and Government Relations Committee Member
Capital Region Economic Development Corporation, Board Member
Hershey Jr. Bears, Board of Directors, Member
Statewide YMCA, Board of Directors
TEAM Pennsylvania, Partner