How Amy Helps Clients
Amy Miller is co-head of the D.C. office, is member of the firm's Board of Directors and oversees litigation in the D.C. Metropolitan area. Her practice focuses on high-stakes commercial litigation, business torts, contractual disputes and appeals. Her practice spans federal and state courts in Virginia, the District of Columbia and Maryland, as well other venues across the country. She also represents clients in arbitrations and administrative agency proceedings. Amy joined Buchanan after spending the bulk of her career at a large law firm where she defended numerous complex and class action lawsuits on behalf of major corporations, and also led appellate teams in these actions.
Amy's commercial litigation experience includes land use matters, government contracts, disputes and energy-related litigation. Amy also has defended many major financial services institutions, and litigated all aspects of the investor/servicer/borrower relationship. These claims include challenges arising under the Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA), Truth in Lending Act (TILA), Real Estate Settlement Procedures Act (RESPA), Servicemembers’ Civil Relief Act (SCRA), Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA), Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA), preemption under the National Bank Act (NBA), Home Owners’ Loan Act (HOLA), and other federal and state laws.
Amy began her legal career focusing on employment law, defending employers against class action, collective action and single-plaintiff employment claims arising under Title VII, the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), the Age Discrimination in Employment Act (ADEA), the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA), the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) and other federal and state employment laws. She has counseled employers on all issues arising out of plant shut downs and mass layoffs under the federal Worker Adjustment and Retraining Notification Act (WARN), workplace investigations, social media issues implicating the National Labor Relations Act (NLRA), developing all manner of employment policies and procedures, and training and counseling geared toward risk avoidance. She continues to counsel and defend clients in employment-related issues today, in conjunction with her commercial litigation practice.
What Clients Can Expect
Amy’s clients rely on her for responsive, practical advice that is not only legally sound, but also recognizes their culture and business needs. She spends a great deal of non-billable time getting to know a client’s business and, just as importantly, the individuals who run the business. Bottom line: Amy becomes truly invested in each client’s success. Clients say that Amy is always accessible, provides valuable insights, and can be relied upon to “fix it.”
Prior to law school, she spent several years working in human resources and public policy, which has informed her common sense and cost-effective approach to solving problems with clients.
Amy was ranked in Chambers USA 2017 as a Recognized Practitioner, and was previously included in the Litigation: General Commercial category in the District of Columbia. She was also selected as a member of Virginia Legal Elite – Appeals in 2016. She was named to Washington, D.C. Super Lawyers list in the Securities Litigation category in 2013-2021, and was named to Virginia Super Lawyers Rising Stars in the Employment and Labor and Employment Litigation: Defense categories. In 2004, Washingtonian Magazine named Amy one of “Washington, D.C.'s Top Civil Defense Lawyers." In 2019, Amy was honored as an Emerging Woman Leader in Law by DCA Live.
Outside the Office
When she’s not working, Amy loves reading, track and field, and travel. She is also an avid UFC fan, which fits perfectly with her love of winning in the courtroom.
- Led defense of multi-plaintiff litigation against energy pipeline company alleging fraud and statutory claims, including obtaining early dismissal, handling oral argument in federal circuit court, and obtaining affirmance on appeal.
- Led defense of multiple land use appeals against municipality, obtaining dismissals of each case.
- Led defense of $250 million dollar claims brought by a subcontractor against a prime contractor, and secured summary judgment on all claims.
- Led defense of national bank in a series of class actions filed in federal and state courts across the country, including obtaining early dismissal of a $100 million putative class action that potentially included 10,000 class members, and obtained affirmance on appeal.
- Led defense of national grocery chain in a series of aggressively targeted employment discrimination and wage & hour cases, obtaining summary judgment or early dismissal of claims.
- Led briefing team and argued on appeal before state supreme court an issue of whether thousands of trustee deeds were void, obtaining a favorable, precedential ruling of first impression for the client.
- Defended community bank in a large-scale series of lawsuits filed in Virginia, the District of Columbia, and Maryland, including those alleging improper securitization of mortgages, by obtaining early dismissals of nearly all cases, and helping to set new, favorable legal precedent for all lenders and servicers.
- First chaired Virginia state court trial to favorable verdict in constitutional challenge by more than 20 plaintiffs to a city council’s approval of zoning decisions.
- Defended a community bank by obtaining dismissal of a putative class action case alleging a variety of fraud-related claims pertaining to loan modifications.
- Tried federal court case to favorable jury verdict in race discrimination suit on behalf of a Fortune 500 company, and successfully defended the verdict at the appellate level.
- Obtained numerous, favorable arbitrator awards in traditional labor disputes, including those involving drug testing practices, on behalf of Fortune 100 company.
- Led defense of national corporations against systemic and individual investigations by the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC).
College of William and Mary, B.A., 1990
Virginia Commonwealth University, M.P.A., 1994
University of Richmond School of Law, J.D., 1999, magna cum laude
- District of Columbia
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court for the District of Georgia
- U.S. District Court for the District of Maryland
- U.S. District Court for the District of North Dakota
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Virginia
- U.S. Supreme Court