How Amanda Helps Clients
Amanda is a strong legal analyst and talented writer with trial and appellate experience in complex, high-exposure matters. Amanda has particular expertise in general and medical liability, labor and employment, insurance subrogation and business disputes.
Prior to joining Buchanan, Amanda practiced business and employment litigation and general and medical liability defense with an Am Law 200 firm, then focused on medical liability defense with a trial practice boutique. Before entering private practice, she served as a judicial law clerk for the Honorable Nancy L. Allf of the Eighth Judicial District Court of Nevada, and a judicial extern for the Honorable Roger L. Hunt, Chief Judge of the United States District Court for the District of Nevada. In law school, Amanda was a member of the Nevada Law Journal, published her Student Note and received CALI awards for the highest grade in Rhetoric & Persuasion and Energy Law.
Amanda maintains a solo practice she launched in 2018 to handle select civil, business, family and appellate matters. She also represents abused and neglected children with the Legal Aid Center of Southern Nevada Pro Bono Project, and recently joined the board of a nonprofit foundation to preserve and resurrect an historic theatre.
What Clients Can Expect
Amanda is a rigorous researcher and analyst who leaves no stone unturned to understand the nuances and complexities of every case, and develop and execute creative and aggressive litigation strategies.
She brings unique perspectives from her early life and schooling in England and New Zealand, and prior careers as a news reporter and public relations executive. Early highlights from her public relations career include being the youngest hospital communications manager in New Zealand in her early twenties, participating in a national think tank on health reform and consulting on public sector change management projects with several government agencies, and a stint as a senior account executive on fast moving consumer good accounts with an English PR agency.
Amanda managed internal communications for an American casino resort in Auckland, NZ, and managed brand public relations for a multi-national hotel corporation based in Memphis, TN, before staying home to start a family. In New Zealand, Amanda had taught strategic management as an adjunct instructor at her alma mater. As a U.S immigrant, Amanda was required to do a second bachelor degree. She focused on economics and math, graduating with a perfect 4.0 and the Nevada Centennial Medallion for the highest graduating GPA that year. Amanda looks forward to returning to the classroom to teach law and economics in the near future.
Outside the Office
Adjusting to an empty nest after “sequencing” careers and parenting, Amanda enjoys entertaining, cooking, traveling, hiking, and reading fiction, policy and economics. She treasures visits with her newly independent grown children and extended family in New Zealand, Canada and England. She is also a huge plane, train and infrastructure nerd.
- Won $159,953.25 in post-trial attorney fees and costs, after a unanimous defense verdict in an orthopedic malpractice trial, then obtained a favorable ruling from the Nevada Supreme Court affirming all fees and 99% of costs. Busick v. Trainor, 437 P.3d 1050 (2019).
- Negotiated a favorable pretrial settlement of all claims in an interstate collection action against a pet supply vendor. EcoPro Natural Corp. v. Innovation Pet, Inc., A-18-786365-C (Clark Cty. NV 2019).
- Narrowed claims via motion practice, won sanctions against plaintiff counsel for discovery violations, deposed all plaintiffs, and helped to settle a wrongful death action on behalf of a rehabilitation hospital. Hart v. HealthSouth Rehabilitation Hospital, A-15-712568-C (Clark Cty. NV 2018).
- Won summary judgment dismissal and defeated certification of a diversity jurisdiction class action under the Telephone Consumer Protection Act on behalf of an auto warranty company, despite evidence of TCPA violations by its marketing vendors, by applying and extending federal common law vicarious liability agency theories. Jones v. All American Auto Protection, Inc., 3:14-CV-00199, aff’d, 866 F.3d 1100 (9th Cir. 2017), modified on reh’g, 887 F.3d 443 (9th Cir. 2018).
- Obtained a rarely granted denial of leave to amend complaint to add a doe assisting surgeon, in a gynecological malpractice action. Cicale v. Zak, A-15-724309-C (Clark Cty. NV 2017).
- As a junior associate, prepared and argued numerous evidentiary motions and examined 10 plaintiff, expert and percipient witnesses as second bench trial counsel in four civil jury trials before taking her first deposition.
- Won statute of limitations dismissal of a dental malpractice suit. Galaza v. Toogood, A-15-713701-C (Clark Cty., NV 2016).
- Negotiated a lemon law buyback of a luxury SUV against a major US automobile manufacturer.
- Resolved by confidential settlement a contentious “me-too” claim against a reality TV star.
University of Nevada - Las Vegas, J.D., 2013
University of Nevada - Las Vegas, B.A., 2009, summa cum laude, Economics
Massey University, B.B.S., 1995, Massey Scholar, Management
Auckland Institute of Technology, Journalism Certificate, 1987
- District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court for the District of Nevada
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
American Bar Association
Clark County Bar Association
Southern Nevada Association of Women Attorneys
McKibben Inn of Court
American Constitution Society for Law & Policy
Legal Aid Center of Southern Nevada, Pro Bono Honor Roll, 100 Hours Club
The Huntridge Foundation, board counsel
American Constitution Society, Next Generation Leader, lawyer chapter board