How Alex Helps Clients
Alex Gapihan is a member of the firm’s FDA and Biotechnology group. His practice is primarily focused on matters relating to the Food and Drug Administration and the pharmaceutical industry, including the approval, regulation, promotion and sale of drugs, medical devices and dietary supplements.
Alex has deep experience with issues facing the healthcare and pharmaceutical industries. He has assisted clients in their interactions with various federal agencies, including:
- Food and Drug Administration (FDA)
- Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS)
- Health and Human Services (HHS)
- United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO)
Prior to joining Buchanan, Alex spent three years with a large Chinese intellectual property law firm, where he assisted international clients in navigating China’s complex legal and regulatory systems.
Alex is fluent in French and conversational in Mandarin Chinese.
What Clients Can Expect
Alex excels in assisting clients in navigating the complex legal and regulatory frameworks that impact their business.
Outside the Office
In his free time, Alex enjoys spending his time away from work cooking elaborate meals with his wife. He is actively involved in the Washington, D.C.’s French-American Chamber of Commerce.
- Assisted on IP litigation matters for a pharmaceutical company, including the successful defense of one of its patents in the Western District of Texas.
- Drafted successful citizen petition preventing FDA’s unilateral withdrawal of approval for a drug product.
- Assisted with several Lanham Act complaints for two FDA/Biotech team clients.
- Represented a medical device manufacturer in a complex arbitration matter.
- Participated in mediations in patent and trademark disputes for multiple pharmaceutical clients.
University of Pennsylvania Law School, J.D., 2015
Vassar College, B.A., 2008, International Studies and Economics, Minor in Chinese
- New Jersey
- District of Columbia