How Adam Helps Clients
Adam is a former federal prosecutor who focuses his practice on internal investigations, corporate compliance, white collar defense, and cybersecurity & data privacy. Adam’s mix of governmental experience along with several years in private practice at a global law firm provides him with a keen understanding of major companies’ needs, especially those in the healthcare and pharmaceutical fields and major financial institutions.
White-Collar Defense and Investigations
Adam’s white collar defense practice consists of assisting companies being investigated by the government as well as executives ensnared in companies’ regulatory or criminal investigations. Adam assists clients who are witnesses and subjects of a government investigation to help navigate them through the process.
Prior to joining Buchanan, Adam served as an Assistant United States Attorney with a focus on white collar crime as a member of the Economic Crimes Section of the United States Attorney’s Office in Tampa.
Cybersecurity & Data Privacy
Adam has developed expertise on cyber-related issues as a member of the National Security and Cybercrime Section while at the United States Attorney’s Office where he served as the Computer Hacking and Intellectual Property (CHIP) coordinator. Adam’s cybersecurity and data privacy practice includes assisting clients in the event of a cyber incident by responding to security incidents, conducting internal investigations, and responding to related regulatory enforcement issues and litigation. For security incidents, Adam works collaboratively with teams involving the client, forensic firm, public relations firm, and cyber insurer to ensure an effective and efficient response. Adam recently advised a publicly-traded company through an incident that required working with federal law enforcement. After customer notification became inevitable, Adam worked to minimize publicity for the company. Adam can also assist clients with developing appropriate cybersecurity protocols. He is a frequent lecturer on various cybersecurity topics including incident response, vendor-related issues, best practices, and other trending topics.
What Clients Can Expect
With Adam, clients know they have a true champion who will develop sharp legal strategies to avoid additional regulatory scrutiny and litigation at any cost. If litigation is unavoidable, Adam draws upon his experience as lead counsel or co-counsel on numerous trials, including nine in federal court.
- As a federal prosecutor, investigated and prosecuted cases charging a wide array of federal crimes, including investment fraud, healthcare fraud, tax fraud, money laundering, obstruction of justice, export control violations, smuggling, mail fraud, and violations of the Food, Drug and Cosmetic Act.
- Served as lead counsel in a two-week trial successfully prosecuting a doctor in a significant case involving healthcare fraud and violations of the Food, Drug and Cosmetic Act after an oncologist knowingly ordered the purchasing of unapproved cancer drugs and then administered them to unwitting patients.
- Defended hospital system in False Claims Act litigation regarding kickbacks and medically unnecessary procedures.
- Defended multiple hedge funds in multiple insider trading investigations by United States Attorney's Offices, the Securities and Exchange Commission, and foreign agencies.
- Defended multiple executives in criminal antitrust matters relating to alleged price fixing activities brought by the Antitrust Division of the Department of Justice leading to no charges being brought against the clients.
Fordham University School of Law, J.D., 2006, cum laude
University of Pennsylvania, School of Engineering and Applied Science, B.S.E., 2001, cum laude, Computer Science & Engineering
- New Jersey
- New York
- U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- United States Patent and Trademark Office