How Sheila Helps Clients
Sheila is a trial attorney who focuses her practice on complex commercial litigation matters that span a variety of industries. From entertainment, real estate and healthcare, to construction, condominium associations and hotels, her experience also includes money transmitters, professional services, moving and mobile storage, automobile dealerships and audio/visual services.
Notably, Sheila successfully defended a $14 million commercial foreclosure trial and successfully prosecuted the counterclaim for declaratory relief in that action that went to trial for over 4 days. She has handled matters involving partnership and business disputes, commercial foreclosures, civil theft, breach of contract, civil fraud, motor vehicle dealership law, consumer fraud, bank litigation, commercial landlord/tenant disputes, condominium law and public adjuster compliance nationwide. Sheila also has experience in assisting clients with general corporate and contractual matters.
In 2019 and 2018, Sheila was selected to the Florida Super Lawyers List. Sheila has been selected for inclusion in Florida Trend’s Legal Elite 2010 as a top “Up and Comer” and was selected by her peers as an honoree for the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation’s 40 Under 40 Outstanding Lawyers of Miami-Dade County Award in 2012. She was also selected as one of the Top 14 Lawyers to Watch in 2014 by Attorney at Law Magazine and named a Rising Star in Business Litigation by Super Lawyers in 2016.
Sheila is conversational in Farsi.
What Clients Can Expect
Sheila approaches each case as if it were her own. Clients should expect that she will take their problem on entirely so they can continue to sleep at night. She is the type of lawyer that tries to find the best and most economical way to a successful resolution to a problem.
Outside the Office
Sheila is a strong believer in giving back to the community and is active in several charitable and legal organizations. She also dedicates a significant amount of time to pro bono services, including serving as a judicially appointed pro bono Guardian ad Litem for minor children in child custody disputes. In her spare time, she enjoys travel, reading, foreign and independent films. She especially enjoys spending time with her husband, two daughters, Tala Emmanuelle and Isla Rumi, and two dogs, Larry and Lola.
- Successfully defended a $14 million commercial foreclosure action at trial brought against a local developer. Also obtained judgment on developer’s counterclaim for declaratory relief to extend the maturity date of the loan.
- Successfully defended a multi-office law firm in a $85 million malpractice claim.
- Obtained summary judgment in favor of condominium association in the defense of a Petition to Dissolve the Condomonium Association and Declaratory Relief claim. Hershoff, Lupino & Yagel, LLP v. Center Cocoanut Grove Condominium Association, Inc., et al. per curium affirmance of attorneys’ fees awarded under §57.105.
- Successfully defended a credit card processing company at an evidentiary hearing in a preliminary injunction action brought against a former sales representative of in a non-compete action.
- Obtained a successful settlement in a claim for sentimental value damages in a property damage case.
Florida International University College of Law, J.D., 2005
University of Florida, M.A., 2002
University of Florida, B.A., 2001, Honors
- New York
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Florida
The Florida Bar, Judicial Nominating Procedures Committee, 2019-2020
New York Bar Association
Dade County Bar Association: Young Lawyers Section
Florida Association for Women Lawyers
Miami Beach Board of Governors
Lotus Village, Board Member
Junior League of Miami
Court-appointed Guardian ad Litem in child custody disputes
The National Academy of Television Arts and Sciences, Suncoast Chapter, Board of Governors, 2019-2020
Pro bono matter - Successfully defended Former Wife at trial in an action for modification of time sharing brought by Former Husband and obtained judgment in Former Wife’s favor on counter-petition for upward modification of child support.