How You Help Clients
Victoria is a civil litigation attorney based in Buchanan’s Pittsburgh office, resolving disputes and driving successful outcomes for business entities throughout the Commonwealth and nation. She focuses her practice on litigation matters pertaining to corporate and business entities and has nearly a decade of experience litigating disputes for energy companies, universities, commercial resorts, healthcare institutions, robotics developers, engineering firms, manufacturers, non-profits and various municipalities.
In particular, Victoria holds significant experience in oil and gas and eminent domain matters, and has successfully undertaken dozens of matters on behalf of both condemnors and condemnees relating to rights of way for natural gas pipelines, roadways, and other easements and property takings.
What Clients Can Expect
Victoria’s philosophy revolves around providing passionate, polished and principled advocacy for each client—no matter the size of the matter or the complexity of the dispute. This is achieved through strong and ongoing lines of communication to understand a client’s needs and drive the outcome toward their ultimate objectives, which may or may not involve litigation. Once the client’s objectives are understood, Victoria develops and implements the most cost-effective strategy to achieve those objectives, whether through negotiations and settlement; mediation or other appropriate alternative dispute resolution; or litigation. Her strategies are fluid and flexible to adapt to her client’s ever-changing needs and objectives.
Most recently, Victoria was named the 2016 Woman of Distinction in Government & Law by Girl Scouts Western Pennsylvania. In addition, she received a 2016 Pennsylvania Senate Citation, awarded by Senator Scott E. Hutchinson of the 21st Senatorial District, recognizing her dedication, excellence and leadership in the legal profession, as well as her impact on the community.
I deliver passionate, polished and principled advocacy for each client, developing pragmatic strategies to meet their unique objectives.
Outside the Office
Victoria frequently appears as a legal expert on NightTalk, Rush to Judgment and Pittsburgh NOW on WPXI's Pittsburgh Cable News Channel (PCNC), providing commentary with renowned civil rights attorney Gloria Allred, and forensic pathologist Cyril Wecht, among others. Currently, she serves as Secretary of the Board of Directors for Girl Scouts Western Pennsylvania and Vice President of the St. Thomas More Society. Most recently, she was appointed to the Board of Directors for Catholic Charities for the Diocese of Pittsburgh. She formerly served on the Boards of the Mendelssohn Choir of Pittsburgh and the Miami-Dade Chapter of the Florida Association of Women Lawyers.
Outside of the courtroom, Victoria is a classically trained soprano, who has appeared in concert with Grammy-nominated organist Cameron Carpenter and pianist Jorge Emilio Rodriguez, headlining chamber concerts throughout the eastern United States. Noteworthy performances include those before then-Vice President Dick Cheney, NAACP Chairman Julian Bond, and United States Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg. She currently serves as a cantor for St. Ferdinand Catholic Church in Cranberry Township.
In 2004, Victoria won the title of Miss Pennsylvania, part of the time-honored Miss America Scholarship Organization and represented the Commonwealth during the live telecast of Miss America in September, 2004. During her year-long reign, she advocated for technology in education, earning a Presidential Volunteer Service Award for her work. Victoria also has extensive training in piano, violin, theatre, and dance and earned a black belt in Tang Soo Do karate. Her greatest joy is her time shared with her husband and their two children.
- Won a complete victory for a condemnor after a 3-day jury trial in an eminent domain matter in Washington County.
- Won summary judgment for Dominion Transmission, Inc. in a case heard in the United States District Court for the Middle District of Pennsylvania, where the plaintiff had claimed that a gas storage field operated by Dominion was impeding his ability to lease his property and make a large amount of money accessing the Marcellus formations under the property. Plaintiff originally filed a 13 count complaint but following a motion to dismiss and oral argument, the complaint was reduced to one count alleging a de facto taking under the Pennsylvania Eminent Domain Code. After discovery, summary judgment fully resolved the matter in the client’s favor.
- Won an appeal in the Commonwealth Court on behalf of a municipality for ordinance violations by a landowner after earning a judgment against the landowner in the Court of Common Pleas of Allegheny County.
- Obtained numerous easements via eminent domain on behalf of Dominion Transmission, Inc. and effectively represented the company at multiple Board of View hearings.
- On behalf of a health care automation solutions provider, obtained dismissal of claims arising from the theft of an employee’s laptop computer containing protected health information, on grounds that court lacked subject matter jurisdiction because plaintiff failed to adequately allege injury-in-fact.
- Contributed as part of a team that counseled and obtained a $447 million settlement for the world’s fourth largest aluminum smelter in a racketeering and fraud suit in the United States District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania, which was the first case brought by a foreign business in a U.S. court to recover losses that resulted from alleged corrupt activity by corporations and individuals in the U.S. and elsewhere.
- Assisted in handling antitrust investigations and negotiating antitrust clearance in two 2012 Pennsylvania hospital acquisitions for Geisinger Health System.
- Assisted in a seven-week trial arising out of the design and construction of an events facility, where the Court of Common Pleas of Allegheny County returned a multi-million dollar verdict in favor of the firm's client.
Florida International University College of Law, J.D., 2008, Law Review Editorial Board, FIU National Moot Court Competition Team, FIU National Trial Team, 2008 AAJ National Trial Team Southeast Regional Champion, 2006 FIU Appellate Advocacy Competition Champion, 2006 FIU Appellate Advocacy Competition "Best Brief" Award, 2006 FIU Appellate Advocacy Competition "Best Orator," Dean's List, CALI Excellence for the Future Awards in Pre-Trial Practice, Trial Advocacy, Conflict of Laws, and Legal Skills and Values III, Florida Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers' 2008 Theodore Klein Memorial Award for Litigation Skills Excellence, 2008 FIU Excellence in Trial Advocacy Scholarship Award, 2008 FIU Excellence in Oral Advocacy Scholarship Award, International Law Study Abroad - University of Florence
Duquesne University, B.S., 2004, summa cum laude
Valedictorian, Dominion Distinguished Scholar, Phi Eta Sigma National Scholarship Recipient, Lambda Sigma Chapter Scholarship Recipient, Beta Gamma Sigma National Honor Society, Golden Key International Honor Society, Student Government Scholarship Recipient, Business Administration - Information Technology
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania
Vice President, St. Thomas More Society of Pittsburgh
Member, Allegheny County Bar Association
Board Member, Catholic Charities of the Diocese of Pittsburgh
Former Member, Miami-Dade County Bar Association
Former Board member, Florida Association of Women Lawyers, Miami-Dade Chapter
Former Law fellow (2006-2007), Lawyers for Literacy
Board Secretary, Girl Scouts Western Pennsylvania
Board Member, Catholic Charities for the Diocese of Pittsburgh
Board Member (2011-2014), Mendelssohn Choir of Pittsburgh
Former National Spokesperson, TeenCentral.net
Former Pennsylvania spokesperson, "Right Decisions, Right Now"
Miss Pennsylvania 2004, part of the Miss America Scholarship Organization
Cantor/Soloist, St. Ferdinand Catholic Church