Co-chair of Buchanan’s Cybersecurity and Data Protection Group, Sue advises clients about the rapidly evolving standards of care for safeguarding confidential information and responding effectively to security incidents that threaten to compromise our client’s valuable or protected information.
When a client faces a possible breach, Sue believes in working collaboratively with a client’s management team, IT staff, forensic experts, and cyber insurer to mobilize quickly and mount an efficient response. On the proactive side, she helps clients assess their data security risks and capabilities, develop information security programs, design incident response plans, protect information in important business transactions, prepare and update contracts, policies and procedures, and present customized training programs and tabletop simulation response exercises.
Sue’s cybersecurity client practice evolved from her work for many years as Buchanan’s Associate General Counsel and as counsel to lawyers, legal departments, law firms and other professionals about conflicts of interest, complex client engagements, and meeting the standards for professional practice in the digital age.
Sue regularly participates in continuing legal education and other programs presented by the ABA, Practicing Law Institute, Professional Education Network, Pennsylvania Bar Institute, the Aon Large Law Firm Symposium and other legal education events.
Recent projects include:
- Representing a large community healthcare center whose electronic medical records provider sustained a cyberattack resulting in significant operational disruption to patient services and records.
- Designing and leading cybersecurity tabletop exercises for a publicly-traded, online provider of equipment liquidation services.
- Working with a major state university to develop a Security Incident Response Plan.
- Representing an investment advisor victimized by a phishing attack and exfiltration of sensitive client information.
- Advising a licensed patent agent firm on organizational and operational changes to meet ethical duties under Patent & Trademark Office and state Rules of Professional Conduct.
- Working with a regional law firm to review, update and enhance its set of form agreements for client engagement.
University of Pittsburgh School of Law, J.D., cum laude, Law Review
Georgetown University, B.S., magna cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa