Prior to joining the firm’s Healthcare section, Stephenie was a Labor and Employment attorney, allowing her to bring unique perspectives to her practice in healthcare.
Stephenie’s practice centers on the representation of health systems, hospitals, skilled nursing facilities, physicians and other healthcare providers in various issues including false claims, consent, charitable solicitations, accessibility, medical staff matters and fraudulent transfers.
In addition, she represents clients in mergers, acquisitions, affiliations and other strategic transactions, as well as a multitude of regulatory and compliance matters. She frequently works with The Joint Commission and state agencies, and regularly advises clients on HIPAA issues, fraud and abuse and False Claims Act investigations, Stark law and the Anti-Kickback statute, EMTALA and managed care.
As a litigator, Stephenie gained experience in negotiations, mediations and other forms of alternative dispute resolution. She regularly served as first and second chair for cases being litigated in both state and federal court, allowing her to become acutely aware of the investments and commitments necessary to secure a favorable outcome for her clients. She has successfully represented clients in front of the National Labor Relations Board and Equal Employment Opportunity Commission. Stephenie has drafted multiple materials for CLEs on labor and employment issues as well as the Pennsylvania and Federal Rules of Evidence and Civil Procedure. She is familiar with Title VII, the ADA, the ADEA, the FLSA, OSHA, WARN and the SEC. Stephenie also counseled and advised clients on employment policies, procedures and separation agreements.
- Served as lead associate in the acquisition of multiple partial hospitalization facilities and community residential rehabilitation centers.
- Served as lead associate in a U.S. Department of Justice investigation surrounding false claims, Stark and anti-kickback allegations.
- Served as lead associate in various Office of Civil Rights investigations in relation to HIPAA breaches.
- Served as lead associate in an array of strategic, multi-entity transactions including member substitutions, changes of ownership and dissolutions in New York, Illinois, New Jersey, Pennsylvania and Virginia.
- Obtained Summary Judgment in a case involving three co-defendants in Allegheny County, Pennsylvania.
- Successfully settled a case with the potential to yield treble damages for violation of the Fair Labor Standards Act, Pennsylvania Wage Payment and Collection Law, and a restrictive covenant.
- Achieved multiple favorable discovery rulings from the Special Master in complex litigation in Allegheny County, Pennsylvania.
University of Pittsburgh School of Law, J.D., cum laude;
Truxall Scholar, awarded by The Pittsburgh Foundation
Senior Managing Editor of the University of Pittsburgh Law Review
University of Pittsburgh, summa cum laude, Political Science B.A. and History B.A.
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania
American Bar Association
Pennsylvania Bar Association
Allegheny County Bar Association
The American Health Lawyers Association
Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra New Leadership Council
Habitat for Humanity
Cambria County Historical Society
St. Vincent DePaul Soup Kitchen