Shane focuses his practice on professional liability and concentrates on defending medical professionals, long-term care centers and assisted living facilities. He also counsels clients concerning compliance with applicable state and federal regulations. Shane routinely appears in state and federal courts, and has experience practicing at both the trial and appellate level.
At Buchanan, Shane has developed a reputation for successfully drafting and enforcing binding arbitration agreements on behalf of firm clients. He has spoken and written on the Federal Arbitration Act and the use of arbitration agreements in the long-term care industry, as well as the topic of patient rights.
Shane applies creative legal solutions to assist clients and secure favorable outcomes. Representative experience includes:
- Prevented the deposition of the CEO of a large skilled-nursing chain by filing a protective order arguing that the “Apex doctrine” applied;
- Compelled dozens of matters into binding arbitration after court-ordered discovery, including fact and expert depositions, and lengthy plenary hearings;
- Secured a stay of a state court professional liability action by filing a related federal lawsuit to compel arbitration and stay the state court matter under the All Writs Act;
- Drafted and revised arbitration agreements and admissions documents for skilled-nursing facilities in compliance with state and federal statutes and regulations;
- Counseled clients concerning compliance with applicable long-term care statutes and regulations.
Shane served as a judicial law clerk for the Honorable Mitchell S. Goldberg in the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania during the summer of 2011.
To learn more about industry rankings, click here.
No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey.
Syracuse University College of Law, J.D., 2013, cum laude, Associate Notes Editor, Syracuse Law Review; Executive Board, Moot Court Honor Society
Hobart College, B.A., 2010, cum laude, with honors, Phi Sigma Alpha National Political Science Honor Society, Political Science & History
- New York
- New Jersey
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey
American Bar Association
New York State Bar Association
New Jersey State Bar Association
The Order of Barristers