S. Maki Uchiyama focuses her practice on matters pertaining to real estate and financial services. She has particular experience in the acquisition, development and financing of office, retail and industrial properties; leasing; structured credit financing; and foreclosures and distressed loans.
Prior to joining Buchanan, Maki served as vice president for the second-largest special servicer of distressed CMBS loans, where she headed the team responsible for compliance and reporting requirements.
Some of Maki's representative experience includes:
- Representing an institutional lender in making construction, acquisition and syndicated loans for projects in the mid-Atlantic region.
- Representing several regional banks in making construction loans and other commercial and real estate financings for projects in the mid-Atlantic region.
- Representing a full service real estate company with property acquisitions, financings and leasing for office, multifamily and industrial properties in the Washington, D.C. metropolitan area.
- Represented a large non-profit charitable trust in its sale of a Class A office building located in Washington, D.C.
- Represented a mid-Atlantic lender in its financing to a third party purchaser of a CMBS loan which was secured by nine industrial properties located in Prince George’s County, MD.
Maki has been recognized by Chambers USA as a leading real estate lawyer in Washington, D.C., and was praised for her client-focused approach from 2015-2016. She was selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America 2018 in Real Estate Law.
Maki is conversant in Japanese.
American University, Washington College of Law, J.D., 2002, Note & Comment Editor, Administrative Law Review
Amherst College, B.A., 1994, cum laude, Political Science
- Washington, D.C.
District of Columbia Bar Association
District of Columbia Building Industry Association