Rudy Garcia focuses his practice on complex civil litigation. He has handled cases in such areas as antitrust, securities, banking, bankruptcy, telecommunications, deregulated energy markets, insurance and construction.
Rudy's recent representative matters include:
- Winning one of the largest jury verdicts in the country and the largest in Pennsylvania, according to The National Law Journal, in a federal antitrust case involving the electronic article surveillance industry.
- Representing the Independent Examiner under an SEC Consent Order in an investigation of accounting issues at a Fortune 50 company.
- Handling an intellectual property claim for more than $1 billion involving the lighting controls industry.
- Handling an $800 million avoidance claim on behalf of a creditors committee for an insurance conglomerate debtor.
- Handling dozens of cases for wireless service providers and tower companies under the Telecommunications Act of 1996.
Prior to joining Buchanan, Rudy was a partner with a major multidisciplinary law firm in the Mid-Atlantic region.
He was designated as the "International Legal Professional of the Year 2004" by the International Biographical Centre of Cambridge, England. He also has been selected by his peers for inclusion on The Best Lawyers in America® list since 2006, and since 2004 has been consistently selected to the Pennsylvania Super Lawyers® list. As well, he has been selected to the Corporate Counsel Super Lawyers® list for a number of years. He also has been selected as a Fellow of Litigation Counsel of America. He has an AV-Preeminent® rating by Martindale-Hubbell®.
In 2011, Rudy received a number of community and professional commendations, including civic citations from the Philadelphia City Council and the Pennsylvania State Senate and the Hispanic community award from Isla Verde. Additionally, The Legal Intelligencer named him "Diverse Attorney of the Year," and he was recognized as one "Delaware Valley's Most Influential Latinos."
Rudy has served as chancellor of the Philadelphia Bar Association.