Our Essential Services Keep Your Essential Services Flowing
Keeping the Wheels Turning
How can we assist you? By providing strategic planning, counsel and representation when you are involved in any of the myriad transactions in which utilities and power generation companies engage. No matter the type of transaction, we provide the kind of insight and guidance that helps you get ahead. Our transactional assistance includes, among others:
- Working with you on mergers and acquisitions.
- Helping you choose appropriate sites for new facilities.
- Advising you during the stages of building or expansion projects, from land acquisition to energy-efficient building guidelines, energy credits and
- Assisting with financing, contracting and project development for non-utility generation facilities.
- Helping financial institutions evaluate potential merger/acquisition opportunities within the utility industry.
- Negotiating and drafting financing and power purchase agreements.
- Negotiating and drafting supply contracts.
- Providing all labor and employment legal services.
Playing by the Rules
The best way to avoid conflicts or adverse outcomes is to fully understand the regulatory components of each project. We can advise you on how regulatory requirements or other laws might affect your decisions, responsibilities and options — and those of your customers, too. We help you structure deals to keep you in compliance and avoid conflicts down the road. Our services include, among others:
- Performing regulatory audits and consulting.
- Representing you in proceedings regarding siting of utilities and transmission lines.
- Handling easement agreements and eminent domain
- Advocating for your interests – including permitting and rate relief – in proceedings before all regulatory bodies at all levels.
- Managing rate and tariff, license and certificate filings.
Helping Make the Rules
Together with the firm's diverse legal team, our government relations professionals help our energy clients achieve their goals through our ability to understand the political and business issues from multiple perspectives. In Pennsylvania and Florida and at the federal level, Buchanan is one of the largest and most well-established government relations firms.
For more than 40 collective years, our team has served in senior staff positions on both sides of the aisle in the U.S. House of Representatives, the U.S. Senate, the White House and various federal executive and regulatory agencies. In Pennsylvania, our attorneys have formerly served as legislators, cabinet officials, members of the governor’s administration, and in other key government roles. And in Florida, our government relations team in Tallahassee has consistently been ranked among the leaders in their field for more than 20 years.
Avoiding & Resolving Conflicts
One of the goals of our both our transactional and regulatory practices on behalf of utilities and power generation companies is structuring transactions and managing compliance in a manner that avoids conflicts. However, when conflicts do occur – and they do – our trial attorneys have decades of experience handling complex and high-stakes cases in state and federal courts and before administrative agencies and arbitral tribunals. You can depend on our litigation team to bring innovative legal strategies and industry insight to the table. We work with you to develop creative approaches, aligning strategies with your business and financial objectives.