Comprehensive guidance for tax-exempt organizations.
Buchanan Ingersoll & Rooney's Nonprofit Organization Group is extensively experienced in the range of issues of concern to nonprofit organizations
. We work with nonprofit organizations at all stages
, from formation and recognition of tax-exempt status to mergers and termination. The breadth of our practice group is matched by the diversity of the clients we represent, including (without limitation) educational institutions, health care, scientific research, religious, and social welfare organizations, public charities, private foundations and business leagues.
Broad experience, specialized knowledge.
Our firm is known for its collaborative approach
, and nowhere is this collaboration more evident than in our Nonprofit Organizations Group. Our team includes individuals from the firm's Tax, ERISA/Employee Benefits, Corporate Finance and Technology, Labor and Employment, Health Care, Real Estate, Intellectual Property and Government Relations Groups. Together, we provide a broad scope of experience coupled with the specialized knowledge that nonprofit organizations require in order to achieve their mission.
Services for every circumstance.
The Nonprofit Organizations Group provides a full range of services
that meet the specific needs of nonprofit activities:
- Establishing or restructuring nonprofit organizations, including obtaining tax-exempt status from the IRS and state tax authorities.
- Advising clients on charitable solicitation rules and assisting with state registrations.
- Managing business activities and minimizing the effect of unrelated business income tax.
- Designing compensation arrangements, employment agreements, and succession plans.
- Advising on intellectual property issues.
- Negotiating collective bargaining agreements.
- Structuring and negotiating joint ventures between for-profit and nonprofit organizations.
- Structuring and negotiating tax-exempt financing.
- Performing legal audits.
- Representing nonprofit organizations in IRS and state audits.
- Advising on corporate governance issues.
- Advising on tax compliance, including lobbying restrictions and private foundation rules.
- Assisting with reporting obligations.
- Structuring program-related investments by private foundations into traditional for-profits and hybrid business entities, including low-profit limited liability companies.
- Advising on structuring mission- related investments.
- Advising on international philanthropy matters.
- Monitoring legislative and regulatory developments.