As reported on September 20, 2010, by more than 90 news outlets, including The Wall Street Journal, The Financial Times, Bloomberg, Law360, Reuters and the Associated Press, Sportingbet — the online gaming and sports betting group represented by Buchanan Ingersoll & Rooney New York Litigators Barry I. Slotnick and Stuart P. Slotnick — has settled a 2-year dispute with the U.S. Justice Department regarding online gambling.

As reported by The Wall Street Journal, "The London-based Internet gambling company Sportingbet PLC will pay $33 million to the U.S. government following an agreement that the company won't be prosecuted for previously operating online gambling sites in the U.S., the U.S. Justice Department announced Monday evening.

According to The Financial Times, "The non-prosecution deal between Sportingbet and the Manhattan district attorney … is the latest move by U.S. law enforcement agencies to clamp down on online gambling, which is illegal in the U.S."

"It has been three and a half years of hard work to protect our client from what could have been a disaster," said Barry Slotnick in an interview with The Financial Times. "I am pleased to say that the Southern District of New York recognized the need to be fair and reasonable and we entered into an agreement that will benefit not only the corporation but the shareholders."

The Financial Times went on to report that the "company has agreed to maintain permanent restrictions on internet gambling services to U.S. customers under the deal."

Stuart Slotnick spoke with the WSJ, saying the Justice Department investigation had hung over the company and clouded its dealings with investors and lenders.

"Now they have answered those questions and can move forward with their core business successfully," he said.

He went on to say that the move also prepares the way for Sportingbet to re-enter the U.S. should online gambling become legal. "A bill to legalize and regulate some forms of online gambling passed through the House Financial Services Committee earlier this summer," noted the WSJ.

Additionally, on September 24, Stuart Slotnick discussed the case in greater detail with Gambling911.com's Senior International Correspondent, Jenny Woo. In a Q&A-style article, he was asked a number of questions relating to the case, including: "What are some of the most important points raised in the Non-Prosecution Agreement? Is there anything you are not happy about?"

His response: "That's a good question. I can't say that there are things that I am not happy about.  We were pleased that Sportingbet was able to receive a Non-Prosecution Agreement from the Department of Justice. We were pleased that Sportingbet had a payment schedule to pay out the total of $33 million instead of being required to pay it out in a shorter time period or in one lump-sum. We were also pleased that there is a prevision in this agreement that stated, 'Nothing in this agreement shall prevent Sportingbet from offering Internet gambling services in the United States should the law of the United States be subsequently changed to permit Internet gambling services.' That is a very important point here. Sportingbet is public company that provides Internet gaming services. The United States market that Sportingbet voluntarily withdrew from in 2006 is a market that if it were to become legal –—Sportingbet would presumably reenter. And by this statement being in the Non-Prosecution Agreement, it's important to the company that it’s clear that this agreement does not prevent or bar Sportingbet from reentering the United States market when it becomes legal. And there is an expectation that it’s a question of when and not if."