How Laura Helps Clients
Laura focuses her practice on a wide range of healthcare services. In addition to defending long-term care and assisted living facilities and medical professionals in civil litigation suits, Laura counsels clients in regulatory and compliance matters.
Prior to joining Buchanan, Laura defended clients in professional and general liability claims, including medical and dental malpractice, long-term care liability, trucking and transportation liability, and premises liability. She also defended medical professionals against actions filed by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania Boards of Dentistry and Medicine. During law school, Laura spent a semester studying international law in Ireland, which gave her a multifaceted perspective on legal theorems and trends.
What Clients Can Expect
Using her creative writing background, Laura drafts compelling motions, memoranda and briefs. Laura simplifies all legal and factual issues in her writing, cutting straight to the point to achieve the most cost-effective representation possible.
When in the courtroom, I speak succinctly and simplistically to ensure the best outcome for my clients. As Franklin D. Roosevelt said, “Be sincere; be brief; be seated."
Outside the Office
Laura is an avid reader who enjoys exploring Philadelphia’s neighborhoods, spending time with her black Labrador Retriever and cooking. Her specialty dishes are pad thai and lemon chicken tagine.
- Successfully argued a motion for summary judgment after a co-defendant’s records made it clear her client bore no responsibility for the plaintiff’s claimed injury
- Persuaded a co-defendant to accept a client’s tender in a premises liability suit after showing that the co-defendant historically accepted fault for the area at issue
- Obtained dismissal of a physician from a medical malpractice suit based upon an affidavit of non-involvement
- Procured a plaintiff’s voluntary discontinuance of a medical malpractice suit following multiple discussions with the plaintiff’s counsel about deficiencies in the pleadings
- Convinced a plaintiff to withdraw a punitive damages claim in a long-term care liability suit
Temple University Beasley School of Law, J.D., 2014
Washington and Lee University, B.A., 2011, Honors, English/Creative Writing
- Supreme Court of Pennsylvania
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- Supreme Court of the State of New Jersey
- New Jersey
Pennsylvania Bar Association
Philadelphia Bar Association
New Jersey Bar Association
The Health Care Compliance Association
American Health Lawyers Association
Young Friends of the Philadelphia Orchestra
Summer Search, Committee Member, Young Professionals Network