How Kim Helps Clients
Kim is uniquely qualified to help clients with legislative and regulatory issues. She is Chair of the firm's State Government Relations Practice Group. Before joining Buchanan, she spent more than 28 years in state government, 15 years at executive level positions including Secretary of the Commonwealth and as a Commissioner on the Pennsylvania Public Utility Commission. While serving as commissioner, Kim helped lead a 500-employee, $50-million-a-year state agency that affects every Pennsylvanian through its regulation of energy, telecommunications, water and transportation services. She focused on a number of critical utility issues related to service reliability, alternative energy, demand side and energy efficiency programs, gas safety, transportation and telecommunications policies.
Under Pennsylvania Governors Ridge and Schweiker, she served as Secretary of the Commonwealth, where she was responsible for the Department of State. Before that, she served the Department of State as Deputy Secretary for Regulatory Programs and began her career in state government with the Pennsylvania Treasury Department and then spent seven years with the Independent Regulatory Review Commission. .
What Clients Can Expect
Kim has the experience and insights to help clients navigate legislative policy and regulatory processes to ensure compliance, pursue changes, expand business operations, or enhance economic development.
Clients appreciate her strategic acumen, strong communication skills and proactive approach to their goals.
- Served on the National Association of Regulatory Utility Commissioners' Natural Gas Committee.
- Served as the Pennsylvania representative on the Mid-Atlantic Distributed Resource Initiative Steering Committee and the Midwest Demand Response Initiative Steering Committee.
- Served as a member on the Board of the Organization of Midwest States.
- National Association of Water Companies, Annual Distinction of Excellence
- Greater Y.W.C.A., Women of Excellence Award
- National Association of Secretaries of State, Medallion Award
University of Pennsylvania, M.G.A., 1988
University of Pittsburgh, Johnstown, B.A., 1981, Business Economics
National Association of Regulatory Utility Commissioners, Emeritus Member and Treasurer
National Association of Secretaries of States, Emeritus Member
National Association of Water Companies, Associate Member
Girls on the Run, Volunteer
Greater Y.W.C.A., Women of Excellence Award
James A. Finnegan Foundation, Former Program Judge
United Way, Volunteer